Solved! My laptop thinks its temperatures are too high than they actually are

Feb 4, 2019
Hi! So, i was watching YouTube when my laptop sudently started to lag and my cpu fan started to spin faster. I noticed that the CPU temperatures went too high for no reason. I use this laptop only to play League of Legens and watch YT. The problem is that when I touch the laptop it doesn't feel hot at all. When i played League in the summer the latop has been reaching a temperatures of 80-90 degrees and the keyboard felt boiling hot. Now it reaches a temperatures of 100 and it doesnt't feel hot at all. I have cleaned the dust from inside, changed the termal paste, and reinstalled the Windows. And i also have cooling pad but still it reaches a temperatures of 100 degrees just by watching YT.

Laptop specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz
Video Card: Mobile Intel(R) 45 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)
RAM: 4.0 GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
(Sorry for my English, im still learning it :) )

Solution
Nobody had any problems with anything, until they did. You car could be running fine one minute, and have a blown engine five minutes later. Your CPU could have been perfect for two years, and then ten minutes ago decide it's had enough. Whether this is due to age, fatigue, lack of cooling from the cooling fan motor getting weak, or other factors such as ambient temperatures, who knows.

The fact that during the high temperatures of summer you were getting 90 degrees, and kept running the system beyond what it was capable of adequately cooling, since at about 85 degrees you should have become very concerned, probably adds to the idea that the problem is due to thermal damage and fatigue, and is not at all uncommon on laptops being used...
CPU temperatures have NOTHING to do with the keyboard feeling hot. That is going to be more relevant to the drive, memory or general internal condition than to the CPU. CPU temperatures can easily reach those temps without ever knowing it by touching the case. You could totally fry that CPU and your case would likely not ever change enough in temperature for you to have any idea of it.

Those cooling pads don't do ANYTHING except make the surface temperature of the laptop more comfortable. They won't affect CPU temps, or GPU temps, if you have a discreet GPU inside that unit, at all. Ever.

If the system says it's at 100 degrees, then unless the motherboard is shot, it is AT 100 degrees. Is the cooling fan for the CPU even running or are you trying to rely on that cooling pad? At 100 degrees, if you can't hear the internal CPU cooler fan running full speed the whole time, then there is a problem with the motherboard fan controller, the thermal diode or the fan. Or, the CPU has been thermally damaged from running it at 90 degrees continuously previously, which was about five degrees past the point where damage starts happening incrementally to the CPU from fatigue.

Feb 4, 2019
The system does not stay at 100 degrees all the time. The temperature increase just happends randomly for about 10-15 sec. To lower the temperatures i need to close all the programs for about 15-20 sec and then everything goes back to normal for 10-15 min when the temperature rises again. At this moment the temperature is 47 degrees while the fan is running but not at full speed. It starts spining faster when it reaches 90 degrees. I did not have any problems with it 2 days ago.

kerberos_20

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
well theres a simple test for you
open it, start up your notebook, once it heats up, touch those heatpipes, if cpu has ~up to 100 degrees, if should be really hot, if it its just "warm" then your cpu isnt transfering heat to those heatpipes

Nobody had any problems with anything, until they did. You car could be running fine one minute, and have a blown engine five minutes later. Your CPU could have been perfect for two years, and then ten minutes ago decide it's had enough. Whether this is due to age, fatigue, lack of cooling from the cooling fan motor getting weak, or other factors such as ambient temperatures, who knows.

The fact that during the high temperatures of summer you were getting 90 degrees, and kept running the system beyond what it was capable of adequately cooling, since at about 85 degrees you should have become very concerned, probably adds to the idea that the problem is due to thermal damage and fatigue, and is not at all uncommon on laptops being used for gaming, which is generally a bad idea since laptops cannot be actively cooled in the same way or to the same degree as a desktop where a bigger cooler can be used. Gaming laptops, or non-gaming laptops, don't have a really long life expectancy, especially if you game for long extended periods of time on a regular basis.

I expect that your system is reporting the temperatures accurately, and that you just need to accept that. It's also possible that the thermal paste was not correctly applied, and how now developed a problem. Might try redoing that again, but I'm actually not terribly hopeful as most likely the damage is already done. An Intel CPU not overclocked should have never come anywhere near 85 degrees or higher even when running a stress test, much less 90-100 degrees, unless something is wrong.

Solution