My laptop uses the wrong graphics card (intel hd 530 instead of gtx 960m)

PelThePinda

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Hi , my laptop is doing pretty good but until i did a speed test , it said 8% gaming .
I use a gtx960m wich i think is pretty good . The wrong part about it is that my computer always uses the wrong graphics card (intel hd 530 instead of gtx960 4gb) does anyone know how i fix this ? any help would do thanks

genthug

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016
Are you certain it's using that in games? A speed test likely wouldn't detect that, as laptops switch constantly between your iGPU and dGPU. Would be willing to bet that a speed test is simply detecting hardware and cross-referencing other benchmarks using x CPU and y GPU to tell you if your rig is good for, in this case, gaming.

If you're uncertain if you are using the iGPU or dGPU in games, there should be a way in Geforce Experience to check which GPU is running a certain program (or game). I know that in NVidia Control Panel, there is a 3d app manager that allows you to specify an executable, and tell it which GPU to use.

Phillip Corcoran

Splendid
genthug has it right, in the second paragraph - - you need to use the "3D Settings" in Nvidia Control Panel to configure a game or application to use the GTX 960m, otherwise the default Intel GPU will be used, which is what is happening at the moment.

After you've configured a game or application to use the GTX GPU in Nvidia Control Panel it will switch to the GTX GPU automatically from then on whenever you launch that game.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 0
T Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 3