My laptop won't connect to my new home wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

july7th

Estimable
May 27, 2014
Hello. My laptop won't connect properly to my new home wifi. It connected to my old wifi just fine. I also use my Note 3 as a hotspot at work, and my laptop connects to that normally also. I have an HP Compaq Presario A940NR laptop. My lappy will connect to my wifi, but it says "unidentified" and "access: local only". All of my family's other computers/devices connect fine to our new wifi. My wife has an Iphone5S, an Ipad mini, and an HP Pavilion DM3 laptop, and I have a Note 3, and all of those connect normally to the wifi.

My wireless router is a Trendnet TEW-810DR. It's password protected with WPA2-PSK encryption. I also checked to see if my laptop would work with the ethernet cable plugged in from my router, and it works fine. It's just the wifi connection between my laptop and my home wifi router that won't work properly. Please help! Thanks in advance for your help! =)

ctsvette

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
It's possible that the driver you are using for your wifi connection doesn's support WPA2-PSK. You should be able to find a driver that does support it if that's the case.

ctsvette

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Just because the driver is up to date doesn't mean it supports WPA2. The only real way to know is to log in to the router and change the encryption to WPA and see if your laptop connects.

nerdymumma

Estimable
Mar 3, 2015

I could only connect using my Ethernet cable and just tried this solution and it worked!! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sulphur88 Laptop Tech Support 1
N Laptop Tech Support 3
miluti Laptop Tech Support 2
LifeIsAFairyTail93 Laptop Tech Support 1
E Laptop Tech Support 2
T Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 0
S786 Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 2