My laptop zap my wrist when touching metal part!

nadhijhalim27

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
My laptop is Dell Inspiron 17 7567 (i5 version), still under warranty until this november.
Some parts of my laptop that made out of metal could zap my hand randomly whenever i charge. The metal speaker that is directly below my left hand, could randomly electrocute my wrist when i play games or typing.
The charger metal head (the one connected to laptop) also has some sort of electricity on it, is it normal? because i never had this with my old lenovo or toshiba.
Other things to note :
- The audio system would make electrical noise whenever i plug my charger.
- This noise is very audible through headset.
- It'll gone when i unplug my charger or put my finger on any metal part of my laptop (speaker/USB socket).
I thought all of this was normal at first and probably gone later, but after 9 months i'm getting annoyed.
My Question :
1. What problem is this? is it my Charger or something else?
2. How do i fix it by myself? or Should i call the customer service?

Solution
MB, if it's under warranty still, then you should definitely consider getting it repaired by the manufacturer. Just make sure you back up your files in case they give you a new one.

A few people have had similiar issues with the laptop, but noone has diagnosed it.The issue is arising from the laptop having a faulty ground connection. The role of the ground is to ensure any current in the metal components is directed to the path of least resistance to zero potential. If this is missing/loose, the current will instead flow through the user. You may be able to see this if you lift your feet off the ground and touch the laptop, since the fabric or plastic in your seat is non-conductive, so you shouldn't get a shock.

bmw-vision

Estimable
Sep 8, 2015
If you are comfortable enough taking apart your laptop, then look for frayed cables within the case somewhere.
Does this happen in other locations(Ie: Try kitchen and bedrooms, also college or work etc)? This isn't normal although some people have experienced the same issue.

nadhijhalim27

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

I've never open up this laptop since they put the warranty sticker on top of the screw hole. It also happen everywhere, even in public place.

bmw-vision

Estimable
Sep 8, 2015
MB, if it's under warranty still, then you should definitely consider getting it repaired by the manufacturer. Just make sure you back up your files in case they give you a new one.

A few people have had similiar issues with the laptop, but noone has diagnosed it.The issue is arising from the laptop having a faulty ground connection. The role of the ground is to ensure any current in the metal components is directed to the path of least resistance to zero potential. If this is missing/loose, the current will instead flow through the user. You may be able to see this if you lift your feet off the ground and touch the laptop, since the fabric or plastic in your seat is non-conductive, so you shouldn't get a shock.

Solution

morgancomputers

Prominent
Feb 5, 2018
I suspect the power adaptor/charger uses a non-grounded 2 pin plug, or the socket you are plugging it into is not grounded/earthed.

You get the tingling/shock as the laptop on charge is not grounded and the difference in electrical charge between it and you is using your body as a route to ground/Earth.

I would highly recommend speaking with Dell while it is in warranty as the audio feedback your describing is post likely electrostatic noise from a faulty/low quality non shielded power supply. Essentially the AC to DC conversion process to power the laptop is causing RF and static interference that is being picked up and amplified by the audio components of the laptop. I have seen similar things happen with low quality PSU's in PC's generating so much RF noise they interfere with Radio equipment.

Try a diff socket, a diff power cable, a diff charger (if you have a spare) and call Dell.

nadhijhalim27

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

Does the metal cover on the charger connector supposed to have an electricity?

nadhijhalim27

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

I use test pen today to find out what part of my laptop is electrified, just to make sure. And I reassured that all metal part of my laptop has electricity whenever I charge, they are speaker metal railing and my usb port.
Since you said there is something wrong with the grounding on the laptop itself, is there a chance that my laptop will get replaced?
I only have 2 months of warranty left, should I go to dell service center? Or try calling them for at home service first?
Thank you