Solved! My MSI GP62 7RD Leopard Laptop will not exit the Aptio Utility Setup

Dec 22, 2019
My MSI GP62 7RD Leopard Laptop will not exit the Aptio Utility Setup no matter what I do. I visited YouTube and many other forums and even talked to MSI Tech support and the issue still isn't solved. Things I have done so far I replaced my hard drive and upgraded it to a 2TB solid state. I do notice that when I took the hard drive out, I turned the laptop on and the same thing occured, the Aptio Utility Setup comes on. My laptop has no connection to the internet whatsoever. When I turn the computer on, the password box of the Utility Setup appears. I tried hitting F10, F11 F2, F3, all the way down the line and the same thing happens. I am wondering if my mother board is corrupt or damaged. The problem occured after I did a force shutdown. I can't even install updates as well. Hopefully someone on here can help solve my issue. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Here are things to try... there are quite a few and some you may have already tried.

A. Try just restarting the computer. Sometimes it is all you need.

B. Change the BIOS (aka Aptio Setup Utility) to its default settings and then restart the computer.

C. Try the following and see if it resolves the problem.

1. In the Aptio Setup Utility, select the "boot" menu and then select "Launch CSM" and change it to "enable".

2. Next select the "Security" menu and then select "secure Boot Control" and change to "disable".

3. Now select "Save & Exit" and press "yes".

4. Once you have done this, hold down the "power" button until the laptop turns off completely.

5. Now you want to power it back on and continually press the "F9" button for...
Here are things to try... there are quite a few and some you may have already tried.

A. Try just restarting the computer. Sometimes it is all you need.

B. Change the BIOS (aka Aptio Setup Utility) to its default settings and then restart the computer.

C. Try the following and see if it resolves the problem.

1. In the Aptio Setup Utility, select the "boot" menu and then select "Launch CSM" and change it to "enable".

2. Next select the "Security" menu and then select "secure Boot Control" and change to "disable".

3. Now select "Save & Exit" and press "yes".

4. Once you have done this, hold down the "power" button until the laptop turns off completely.

5. Now you want to power it back on and continually press the "F9" button for about ten seconds or until you are taken to the "Windows Recovery Menu".

6. In here select "Advanced Start Up" and then, once the recovery menu appears, select "Advance Options".

7. Choose "System Restore" and select a date prior to when the problem started.

The computer should now go through the restore process and then start normally for you.

D. As a last resort you may have to do a complete reinstall of Windows. If this is the case, you may want to try and access your drive through another computer, to see if you can get any personal data off of it before resetting the system.

Solution
Jan 10, 2020
Tried the steps and when I go to press F9 I dont get any Windows Recovery Menu, it just boots me into BIOS and wants to load Optimized Defaults which is what F9 does in the BIOs

Jan 10, 2020
Disabled Secure Boot, set Boot mode to UEFI with CSM, even tried disabling Fast Boot. When I switch Boot mode to Legacy it doesnt boot into BIOS I get a different screen on startup its black and says:
Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Killer E2400 PCIE Ethernet Controller v1.0.0.8a (07/29/2016)

Check cable connection!
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

Can’t enter recovery mode by repeatedly pressing F3 on the MSI boot screen, unless I’m doing something wrong or pressing the wrong button

If nothing else is working, you may have to try doing a full restore of the system from a CD/DVD/USB. However, that will wipe whatever is on the drive. If, of course, that will work.

You may want to take it in and have it looked at to test if it is in fact the drive and it needs replacing, and if they can save anything from the drive. If not the drive, then it may well be the motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS