My MSI GT70 gaming laptop will not turn on with either the power cord or battery. No signs of life inside the pc everything lo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jim Lawrence

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014

Jim Lawrence

Estimable
Nov 26, 2014
It appears to me that the center pin breaks at the circuit board from plugging and unplugging the power cable. It wiggles the center pin and caused it to fatigue and break. This causes a high resistance connection which creates the heat. That is my theory. It could be that they have a manufacturing problem that causes a cold solder joint creating high resistance and heat as well.
It appears that this is a common problem with MSI as the new power receptacle was easy to find and readily available. I have some HP laptops and have never had an issue with the power plug. It is unlikely that your power supply adapter is bad but I checked mine during my troubleshooting process.

Doing a good resolder job will be critical to your repair success. As I said it took plenty of heat over time to get the old solder to melt. Either it is very high temp solder or the circuit board is thick and they have lots of copper in it to sink the heat. If you have a solder sucker or some solder wick it would be helpful but you can get it easily and cheaply on Amazon along with your power connector.

A set of magnifying glasses are very helpful as you will be doing some small work and it makes it much easier to see. My job is about a month old now and still working well with no problems. I bought mine used as you did on craigslist and someone had been in it before me as some of the screws were missing. I bought some and put one in every hole just to make me feel better. Some of the plastic snap together stuff made me a little nervous but I got used to it after about the 3rd time through. Reassembly takes a little time making sure you get the ribbon cables inserted properly and locked down as well as all the wire routing but it all worked out. I took some pictures for reference as well.

Hey good luck and just take your time. Get all your stuff in order , get a small wire cutter and needle nose. You might want to buy a 1/16 drill bit as well. It helped with me when I cleaned out the holes to insert the new connector. I assume you have a vise as I held the MB so I could use both hands. I wrapped the MB in a towel to prevent damage. A bright headlamp helped me as well.

abdat60

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014
Awsome! The internet has everything, the art is in finding the correct term to search for. The golden term for my case is "Power Jack"

Here is the power jack I found

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-DC-POWER-JACK-SOCKET-CONNECTOR-for-MSI-GT60-MS16F3-GT70-GT780R-GX660R-GX680-/400701111044?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item5d4ba5bb04

And here is a video I found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCiSvYYpCZA

I was a bit discouraged by other forums that the power jack damage may have lead to other components being damaged on my motherboard, I will rather try a $10 fix rather than trowing out the motherboard. I did drop the motherboard so if the power jack didn't damage it the drop sure as hell did...lol. I will wait for the part to come in and update.

Chewy3

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015

Did it work? I had some scorching on mine from the pin on the power jack but my brother added some solder and it worked for about a month but I've got the same issue again.

abdat60

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014
Man, I wish I thought of only putting some solder on it...I ended up solering the hell out of it to remove it, then replaced the p[ower jack with a new one. Same problem, it would short on the board, ended up sending it to a motherboard fixer on ebay....still waiting, I will be suprised if he can fix it after I went to town on it.

samg86

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
My GT70 just shut down 6 months ago and I'd pretty much given up on it - I saw this thread and bought a power connector from here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-For-MSI-GT60-MS16F3-GT70-LAPTOP-AC-DC-Power-Jack-PORT-Socket-Connector-PLUG/32269320681.

I took the laptop apart using this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxVzseg1RRc

The power connector had no visible damage, but I figured I'd try to replace it anyway as I'm not in warranty and figured it was the motherboard if this wasn't the problem.

I have a 40W soldering iron but it wasn't hot enough to make much difference to the solder - i pretty much had to rip the component off the board using pliers, before re-soldering the replacement component. It was pretty messy, but unbelievably it worked and I have my laptop back. Thanks for the help and good luck fixing yours.