My new laptop is making weird noise please help me before it's too late :(

Solution
depends on usage of laptop. if you have 10% load on cpu, then it won't make much heat, but the fan will grind away. However there isn't enough heat to cause damage, however the laptop motherboard may have RPM sensor. If it trips then the laptop could either shut off or when you turn on you get warning about cpu fan needing replacement.

If you use the laptop like hardcore 100% useage, the heat will get to hot, the cpu will thermal throttle (so slow down to prevent it from doing a james bond explosion of epic proportion)(joke), but its not good on the cpu to be insanely hot 100% of the time like that throttling.

Call around your local community for laptop repair, get a joust of what people charge for laptop cpu fan diagnostics...

toutougroup96

Commendable
Oct 31, 2017

can you explain more ?
it works fine most of the time though, even when I set the fan speed to boost using asus utlity it spins normally... the cpu temp at normal usage is around 50C
and when I boost the fan it goes as low as 42

moulderhere

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
i presume you have dust/dirt/ something inside the sleeve of the fan. I don't think this fan is a bearing design but sleeve design. So at the right angle, or rpm it causes the fan to 'grind' away.

If this were me I'd open the entire laptop up remove the cpu fan and heat sink assembly, clean it entirely out.

Take photo of fan, then put it all back together.

Try it all again.

See about just a fan for the cpu. Most times you can just get a replacement fan cheap you don't need to change the entire heatsink/fan assembly.

toutougroup96

Commendable
Oct 31, 2017

I never actually opened a laptop or ever cleaned one... I'm sorry for being newbie but can you provide me with a video tutorial ? my laptop is an Asus FX504GD

moulderhere

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
You need to hire somebody if you've never opened a laptop. There are very thin cables, etc. You need to be damn careful.

Video I think this is yours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aADl8A8ci0k
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if_qq-co1Gw

Please be careful. If I were in your shoes, take many, MANY photos of screw locations, what screw came out what hole, the length, etc. Organise the hell out of it. Make sure you know where each screw came out from, etc.

Please be advised if you have to remove the heatsink assembly then you will need to clean cpu and add new thermal paste.

Do your research before opening it up, on this. Because locally here the computer shops charge $35 per hour to do that job. Its not hard takes less than an hour but there is thin cables that can break easily.
I just don't you doing damage to your hardware.

When you do open it all up, please take photos of fan for serial number of fan.

toutougroup96

Commendable
Oct 31, 2017

I can't really trust myself in such mission so I might take it to someone that can do it
But will there be any harm if I leave it the way it is ? knowing that only happens like really RARELY

moulderhere

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
depends on usage of laptop. if you have 10% load on cpu, then it won't make much heat, but the fan will grind away. However there isn't enough heat to cause damage, however the laptop motherboard may have RPM sensor. If it trips then the laptop could either shut off or when you turn on you get warning about cpu fan needing replacement.

If you use the laptop like hardcore 100% useage, the heat will get to hot, the cpu will thermal throttle (so slow down to prevent it from doing a james bond explosion of epic proportion)(joke), but its not good on the cpu to be insanely hot 100% of the time like that throttling.

Call around your local community for laptop repair, get a joust of what people charge for laptop cpu fan diagnostics, proper cleaning. I say diagnostics because you have to open the laptop up fully to check out the fan see whats going on.

Ask if the shop has a per hour rate, some times laptop diagnostics are say $50, where per hour is $35. Depending on the tech they may charge per hour to diagnose your issue (technically a cash grab but a good tech shouldn't take more than 20 min to open up that laptop).

Solution

toutougroup96

Commendable
Oct 31, 2017

Thanks for your time brother!
I will keep my eye on thermals upon normal and gaming usage and if I notice a throttle I will take an action :)

moulderhere

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
Install speed fan to monitor temps.

Please don't let it go forever.

Most laptops that you can game on, if it has a dedicated graphics card, the fan cools both the cpu and gpu with a combined heat pipe (unless you have 2 fans on laptop). Then it is important to replace the fan, but fully open it up to see whats going on first.

toutougroup96

Commendable
Oct 31, 2017

Here's a stress test I ran using AIDA64
https://imgur.com/a/M55MXSs
M55MXSs

What are your thoughts ?

moulderhere

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
that looks ok, install hwinfo to monitor temps.

gotta run get dinner. live long and prosper.

keep an eye on it. Consider getting it fixed sooner than later. But call around the shops, don't get ripped off.

toutougroup96

Commendable
Oct 31, 2017

Okay thanks again for your time! Have a nice day :)