my Pentax X90 says that the In-built Memory is full and wont take photos - have plugged into my computer and deleted old photo

judy.even

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017
my Pentax X90 (just bought second hand) says that the In-built Memory is full and wont take photos - have plugged into my computer and deleted old photos but will only let me take about 8 photos and then I get the same message. Can anyone help please.

Solution
Judy, here is the manual - http://www.camera-usermanual.com/manuals/pentax/Pentax_Optio_X90.pdf

As Ken mentioned above, one page 254, it states that the built-in storage (wrongly referred to as "memory" in the manual) is 31.2 MB) - this 31.2 MB will be adequate for the storage of a few fine quality .jpg photos. Depending on the file size and the picture quality setting (medium, fine, large) the file size may be around 4 MB (as in my Nikon camera).

From the manual (page 254) -

(4000×3000), D (4000×2672)
(4000×2256), F (2992×2992)
6 (3072×2304), f (2592×1944)
h (2048×1536), l (1024×768), m (640×480)

From the above, it appears that the photo size and quality is set at 2048 x 1536 which translates to about 3 MB. This is why you are...

judy.even

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017

Thank you for your reply. I have been all through the menu and cannot find any place to see if the photos are set to jpg and not raw - is there a way to do this that you know of?

Judy, here is the manual - http://www.camera-usermanual.com/manuals/pentax/Pentax_Optio_X90.pdf

As Ken mentioned above, one page 254, it states that the built-in storage (wrongly referred to as "memory" in the manual) is 31.2 MB) - this 31.2 MB will be adequate for the storage of a few fine quality .jpg photos. Depending on the file size and the picture quality setting (medium, fine, large) the file size may be around 4 MB (as in my Nikon camera).

From the manual (page 254) -

(4000×3000), D (4000×2672)
(4000×2256), F (2992×2992)
6 (3072×2304), f (2592×1944)
h (2048×1536), l (1024×768), m (640×480)

From the above, it appears that the photo size and quality is set at 2048 x 1536 which translates to about 3 MB. This is why you are getting only about 8 photos before the built-in storage (not memory) is full.

The solution is to install and SD or SDHC card -

On page 255 of the manual there is a table that charts out the number of photos that can be stored on the built-in storage (wrongly referred to as memory), and also on the SD/SDHC card at various camera settings that control image (photo) quality and size. See page 54 - The "Menu" button controls all the camera settings. It took me about 6 hours to read and understand the settings on my new Nikon even though I am an experienced pro photographer well versed in technology. It will take you about the same time to learn about your new (second-hand) camera.

Go through the manual and look for the specified SD/SDHC cards approved and the capacities approved.

If you need more info please ask.

Solution

See pages 120 and 121 of the manual - http://www.camera-usermanual.com/manuals/pentax/Pentax_Optio_X90.pdf

On page 257 of the manual, it states that the SD or SDHC card is limited to 2GB. This is not much but it is a lot more than the built-in storage of 31.2 MB.

I still have an older Nikon camera that has a 1 GB storage SD card (CF card actually) and at my settings I get about 280 photos on it

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
I don't know about that specific camera, but in many cases when a SD card is installed, the camera defaults to saving pictures to the card, and not the internal storage. If not, there will be a selection in the menu somewhere to designate the SD card as the place pictures are saved. Also, before buying a SD card, check the manual to see what class (speed) it supports (class 4, class 10 etc.).

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
There may not be a list of approved SD cards, or if it does exist, it may be outdated. As cheap as the SD cards are nowadays, I would think as long as we know the max size (2GB) and Class 10, any currently available card that meets those criteria would work (hopefully).

^ Yes agree!

Hard to find SD / SDHC cards in the 2 GB capacity - most start out at 8 GB, and I don't know whether the camera will support a card with higher than 2 GB capacity. I found this out when I was trying to buy an 8 GB CF (Compact Flash) storage card for my older Nikon. Currently it has a slow (quite slow read/write) 1 GB CF card.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
I have a multi card reader in my computer and it will not recognize any SD/micro SD card over 2GB. The workaround for me was to get a cheap usb card reader "stick" from MicroCenter, but that isn't going to help with the camera. I remember the first SD card I bought was a 512MB card and it cost around $40.

It would be a good idea for the OP to buy a few 2GB cards now, before they are completely unavailable.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
I just looked at page 255 of the manual linked above. The 2GB limit mentioned is the maximum size of a single recorded video, not the maximum size of card the camera supports, which is good! I didn't see the max card size, but MadMatt seems to know from experience, so I would go with that.

Good info! Thanks!