Question My Primary Boot Drive is not detected (other one is though)

mikeg1251

Prominent
Dec 9, 2018
Hello, I come to you all in a time of need. Upon booting up my computer, I received a dreaded message: “reboot and select proper boot device”.

My setup is windows installed on an SSD, my C drive. And I have an HDD as my D.

In the Bios, I can see that it detects the D drive, but not the C. It looks like it’s trying to boot from D since it doesn’t see C which makes sense as to why it won’t boot.

Some background info that might be relevant. A week ago, I uninstalled Macrium reflect which I had used for some partitioning. I didn’t need it anymore So I uninstalled, hopefully that didn’t affect it. In the last couple days, I had two BSOD, one was Unexpected Storage Event” I think and I can’t remember the other one.

So the question becomes, what can I do here? I’ve tried unplugging and replugging the SATA cables but to no avail.

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
go into your bios and see if it has smarttest. run it if you do, if you don't, run a harddrive diagnostic utility such as hddscan or seatools for dos. If you know the manufacturer of the drive, you may be able to go to their website and get their diagnostic utility. You may be able to repair the drive using the manufacturers utility.

mikeg1251

Prominent
Dec 9, 2018
go into your bios and see if it has smarttest. run it if you do, if you don't, run a harddrive diagnostic utility such as hddscan or seatools for dos. If you know the manufacturer of the drive, you may be able to go to their website and get their diagnostic utility. You may be able to repair the drive using the manufacturers utility.
This sounds like something worth trying. How would I run the utility on it if the SSD in question contained my OS, though?

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
you can boot to the diagnostic disk. you download the iso file and create a bootable image disk or usb drive. It will depend on the utility. One thing, you might need to disable secure boot in the bios. also I forgot a warning, be sure to read the instructions to make sure it will work on a ssd drive.