My RCA tablet won't turn on. What do I do?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poopperson

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016

Suerina

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016

grampajohn

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
I think I have a SOLUTION for at least some of these issues. I have a Cambio W1162 Windows 10 purchased December 2016.

Symptom: From full power off, the power button only works about 1 out of 10 tries. (I hold it down for 5 or more seconds)

FIX: Un-check "turn on fast startup". After doing this, it powers up every time.

THEORY: I suspect that choosing "fast startup" is the same thing as "Hibernate". I further suspect that there is a timing race condition in the firmware of the tablet or in Windows 10 startup software routine.

DETAIL: There are a number of confusing routes to accomplish this, so experiment. I use the "settings gear"... > power options > Choose what power button does > "Change settings that are currently unavailable" > UN-check "Turn on fast startup" > "Save Changes"

FYI Google "Confessions of an Old Geek". Enjoy

clacct

Commendable
Jan 15, 2017
Thanks GrampaJohn. I will try this on my new Cambio that is 1 month old and having the same non-working power button problem too. I will post if it fixes the problem after I know more. I also wanted to note that I did NOT select the fast start-up as an option...it must be a factory default setting, but it was "checked" when I went to my power settings, so I un-checked it and hope this fixes it.

One other item I noted when I was checking out the power settings is: there are default settings for what pressing the power button accomplishes (there is a separate setting for power button response in battery-mode versus plugged-in mode). For some reason, the default setting for both these were "hibernate", which supports your theory that the computer is hibernating instead of powering down. The only issue, in my case, is I don't turn off my computer using the power button, I use the windows menu to shut-down my computer, but the result appears to be the same, meaning the computer appears to turn off (even though it might only be hibernating, as it turns out), then the power button doesn't work next time I try to power on. So I changed those default settings to "turn off the computer" when the power button is pressed (whether I am on battery or plugged in) instead of having the power button "hibernate" the computer.

Anyone else having this problem might try these fixes too.

grampajohn

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017

grampajohn

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
clacct: Thanks for the feedback. It has been a couple of weeks now since I un-checked the "turn on fast startup" box, and nairy a hick-up since. Power button works as expected EVERY time. BTW, the box was checked by default on my tablet also. I wish I had a way to get this word to RCA. I imagine that it would prevent a lot of product returns. I sent a message through the RCA "support" website but did not even get an acknowledgement. Bottom line, now that this problem is fixed I LOVE this unit. I use it for lyrics to songs using an app called SongBook. Works quite nicely.

pdcull

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
Thank you so much!

I have the Windows 10 Cambio which has been driving me crazy with the once-in-a-blue-moon power-on bug. Since I deactivated the fast startup option it has been starting up every time.

Paul

Teisha

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
there are two options (1) hold down Both the power button and the volume up bottom the use the volume down bottom to scroll down to reset to factory setting or something like that after that your tablet will either rest then turn off or just stay on if it turns off just hold in the button until the screen comes on and there you go. (2) there is a reset button in the back use a tiny object like a paper clip to insert into the hole you will hear a click when you push down far enough after it resets turn on your tablet.

If neither of these options work, your tablet has probably crashed but there is still a chance it hasn't look up on google for more help :)

krsadie

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

I can't get My rca tablet to turn on it will not come on

Teri_56

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
I just tried this and it works. Plug you tablet into a computer. Make sure the computer is on first. using a USB cable into the computer then into the tablet. hold the power button and down volume for 20 seconds. It will start charging.

breeverman14

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017
This is a problem I got my Rca tablet for Christmas it worked for a while and then a few weeks later it started freezing so I would power it off and power it back on my uncle brought his computer over plugged it in it turned on and worked fine the next week after that it stops working so I charged it my dad took it apart tried to fix it it didn't work. Today I got online looked up how to fix an Rca tablet so I did that and nothing worked what do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.