My Vaio VPCEJ hit the deck. (Thanks dog !!). I replaced the screen as I knew it was busted but it remains black and blank.

Solution
The new laptops have no screws for the VGA port.
From the specifications of your laptop, you have two ports for the monitor, VGA and HDMI.
This is the reason that Sony says you can use a single monitor with the screen of your laptop.
Maybe the new screen is not the one for your laptop, if you can't go into the BIOS, and you have nothing
on an external monitor, I fear that the problem is on the motherboard itself.
I was asking for the rest of the numbers after VPCEJ.
So, how come you have a VGA port? What is the use of it (from Sony point of view) if you can't use it.
Verify if your adapter gives the right voltage, look also for the jack where you connect it to the laptop, it should not be loose.
Try going into the BIOS, turn on the laptop and press the F2 key repeatedly.

Ynot47

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015
[Sorry - misunderstood. Its a VPCEJ 1Z1E.

I have a port which resembles a VGA port but does not have the holes for screwing the plug into. In my ignorance I assumed this was not the correct port.
Extract from Sony's reply to me -

Thank you for contacting Sony Support

Thank you for your recent E-mail. We are sorry to learn about your experience with your VAIO laptop. I have checked the capability of your graphics card but it can output only to one monitor

Hope this helps.

Ynot47

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015
Hi,
Further to your email,

The only external connection I have to the laptop is the power lead which has always worked fine. The battery is currently flat so it must be the lead which supplies power to the only 2 lights working.

I cannot get into BIOS, as the only indication that anything is alive at all, is the power light and the HDD light on the front.

I don't get any sound from the HDD winding up, and the light remains static without the usual flickering of action, so assume that it is naff. But if so, would that stop anything at all from showing on the screen, no flicker of life at all ?

Thanks for your help.

The new laptops have no screws for the VGA port.
From the specifications of your laptop, you have two ports for the monitor, VGA and HDMI.
This is the reason that Sony says you can use a single monitor with the screen of your laptop.
Maybe the new screen is not the one for your laptop, if you can't go into the BIOS, and you have nothing
on an external monitor, I fear that the problem is on the motherboard itself.

Solution