my word 2010 docs seem to have been affected since having my hard drive cleaned.

phil watson

Estimable
Dec 24, 2014
since having my hard drive cleaned my office 2010 and word especially seem to have margin issues. The preview shows the margins are correct, but when printing there are now extra spaces around the document page, as though it has 'shrunk the document making the white space around the information larger. Any ideas anyone?

Solution

After you installed office 2010 did you activate it with the respective product key? I would try the method below and if it's still doing it maybe uninstall/reinstall office 2010.

(i'm assuming you're using windows, unless for some reason you're using ms office on a mac)

Go to start > all programs > accessories > wordpad, type a paragraph worth of random text, and before printing it check to see what print preview looks like. If the additional margin space only happens when printing from microsoft word and not wordpad then you've pretty much narrowed the list of culprits down to just word (you could also try...

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
So you wiped your HDD and reinstalled windows, office, and the printer? Sounds like you might need to change the margin settings of the default "style" in word 2010, although if the preview is showing the correct page but it's different when it comes out of the printer you may need to fiddle with the printer settings (i.e. fit to page, actual size, etc). Does the same thing happen if you print from wordpad?

phil watson

Estimable
Dec 24, 2014
Hi Jeckel, also tried all options regarding margins, including fit to page, no change. Also some other functions seem to be not working in word, could the problem be there? Sorry, never used wordpad.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

After you installed office 2010 did you activate it with the respective product key? I would try the method below and if it's still doing it maybe uninstall/reinstall office 2010.

(i'm assuming you're using windows, unless for some reason you're using ms office on a mac)

Go to start > all programs > accessories > wordpad, type a paragraph worth of random text, and before printing it check to see what print preview looks like. If the additional margin space only happens when printing from microsoft word and not wordpad then you've pretty much narrowed the list of culprits down to just word (you could also try printing from microsoft paint, internet explorer, etc). If the additional margin space appears no matter what application you print from I would suggest fiddling with your printer settings

Solution