My work provides me with a Dell Latitude E6410 laptop, which at work, I hook up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

danny2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Most people who work at home do NOT need a laptop; This saves the company tons and tons of money by redeploying older computers instead of laptops. Yes, everyone WANTS a laptop, but they do not NEED one for home usage. You fail.

yoji

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

Jezz... you really are a muppet...

Your point was.... "The workhorse computer is needed in the office, not at the user's home."... so you advocating thay have 2? thats not cheaper that 1 laptop (esp when you consider licensing and support). And most people dont work at home 100% ... most are like me (and OP... lets not forget the original question!!) and spend some at home, some at office.. or travelling (e.g. sales people).

Anyway.. I a really done with you... you are a muppet and I have wasted more time on you than you deserve.

Cheers

danny2000

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

You keep insulting people on here and this is NOT the place for that dude.

Redeploys, aka throw-aways or older computers; That is all that they need at home if they don't travel. Lots of people work at home, but never travel for business, thus, they don't need a laptop.

Anyhow, I would advise shochbrunn, to just get a KVM switch to hook-up his laptop to.
shochbrunn, if you already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse (if not, your job should be able to provide one for you to use at home) at home, then just get a KVM switch so that you you can just hook-up two computers or laptops.

nocteratus

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
I work as a desktop technician for a large company and we have about 40% of our users who have a laptop instead of a desktop. They need to have some mobility with their computer.
So at their desk we're using : http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/adet.to?poid=408593

It's a universal docking station. You plug everything in the docking station and then you plug the docking station to the laptop with only a USB.

shochbrunn

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
Well... I guess I stirred things up a bit! :) But debate is a good thing, and I sincerely appreciate all the comments. I tip my hat to all of you who spent time on this, trying to help out a complete stranger. I now have clear ideas about how to solve this problem, and that's due to this community. Thank you!