NAS Device For Storage?

Cpt_Funtime

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015
Hello All,

I would like to know if it is at all possible to have a few HDDs in Raid outside of my case. So far the most elegant solution I can come up with would be a NAS device. From what I gather, NAS devices are more for back up and redundancy rather than "External Storage." Basically, I was wondering if there was a way that I could set this up for my new build. I think HDDs make too much noise and heat to store in my case. I am upgrading to an M.2 SATA drive in 512GB (Samsung 950 Pro). However, this just isn't enough storage for anything other than being a C drive. I would like to have an SSD for C:\ and some HDDs in Raid for storage for a D drive. In summation, is it possible to use a NAS device for storage and not necessarily backup?

Thanks,
The Captain.

Solution
A NAS can provide storage, but the performance is limited to your network (100MB/s). You can map folders from the NAS to look like drives on your PC but the performance won't be as good as a locally connected disk.

kelseyatseagate

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
Hey Captain! NAS devices were primarily built for storage with the basic necessities of file sharing, remote access, and backup. However, NAS devices have gone beyond those three with their software allowing them to have a private cloud and have DropBox like features, media streaming capabilities to your smart device -- you can stream TB's of music / movies to your phone if you want to. It can even host your own blog / website... The list goes on.. This all comes down to what you want to do with your NAS storage. Since you don't like noise, you can always wire the NAS away from you or hide it in a closet that's well ventilated and access it through your mobile device or computer. Hope this helps. Let us know if there are any other questions we can answer.

Cpt_Funtime

Estimable
Dec 27, 2015

Thanks! This was very helpful!

TRENDING THREADS