NASA to Reveal 'Astrobiology Discovery' Thursday

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sudzie

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Chances are is that they have found arsenic based life on earth.

Its the prime research area for one of the presenters.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I'm gonna have to go along the line of some type of live bacteria. We already have fossils that wouldn't really be ground breaking. But w/e wait and see.

G

They found in space a wedge-shaped spacecraft which appears to be firing lasers on a smaller penis-shaped spacecraft....

dillyflump

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Interesting how my post above gets negatively marked down as does the post below mine pointing out the fact that anything humans do not understand is down to god.

Im guessing someone with devout religeous views blindly goes around negating valid points which they themselves don't believe in.

However I've read the bible, not the new fangled testament but the old testament, and can clearly say if a divine being does exist, once you've moved on from the mortal coil he'll probably kick your arse whether your a believer or not.

It clearly states in the old testament, Thou shall not build idols. However we all still go around carrying crosses and other religeous nick nacks and build temples, churches and other religeous buildings to honor a diety who specifically asked us not too.

The moral of the old testament and all newer religions which were originally derived from the original writings, is to get on with your lives in a pleasant manner, help those around you and throughout the world and make the most of the short time you have on earth. It's nothing more than a do's & dont's book on being a good person.

caparc

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I wonder what color they are. A lot of the world seems to care about that. My guess is they are just here for the latest video game updates.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
It's very exciting and intriguing what is actually embargoed, but I think it's something along the lines of a possible discovery of microorganisms on Mars, not a full-blown extraterrestrial life or civilization.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
More seriously, one of three possibilities comes to mind:

1. Analyses of the material brought back from a recent comet rendezvous have turned up amino acids at the least, viral / bacterial cysts at the most, and DNA somewhere in the middle,

2. Analysis of a moon of Saturn or Jupiter has turned up chemical elements of types, quantities, and in proportions most readily explained by some kind of metabolism, not necessarily a carbon-based one with which we are most familiar,

3. Analysis (again, of an outer moon) has turned up "something" that behaves in some manner(s) consistent with our understanding of Life, such as being self-replicating, even if it is otherwise unfamiliar.

chunkymonster

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
[citation][nom]dillyflump[/nom]Perhaps the search and belief in some form of divine being is what has been holding back the human race for millennia. I personally don't believe in any form of god or diety being responsible for the creation of the universe and everything contained within it.Ancient human civilization did not understand or have the scientific knowledge to comprehend most things that happenned in the past. Back then the only logical solution was to percieve that a divine being created or caused something to happen.[/citation]The only thing holding back the human race is our inherent ignorance and a lack of faith in that all things are possible. Given what little we know about the infinite universe we live in it is selective ignorance to dismiss one theory over another. The fact is we just do not know. However, it is the fact that we do not know that drives the human race forward and to search and seek answers. It is the fact that we don't know that also drives the human ego into believing that one answer is more correct than another.

The notion that peoples of the ancient world were less intelligent as modern humans because of our current level of technology is also shortsighted and ignorant. The notion that ancient peoples were more superstitious is a very Western World view. Thousands of years before Europeans, the ancient Chinese were travelling up and down the Yangtze River in paddle boats with crews of over 800 people. Thousands of years before Leibnitz, the Hindu mathematician Pingala developed a binary enumeration system. Again, the notion that ancient humans were unable to comprehend the universe they lived in ignorant and shortsighted. The notion that modern humans are somehow superior or more intelligent because of a certain level of sophistication stinks of elitism and ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS