Natal to Launch in October with Lag Time of 1/10s

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silicon Jesus

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Yeah I have to agree that 1/10 of a second is going to be rough. As a guitar player who uses a PC for real-time effects, I have spent some time configuring my audio equipment for low latency. I personally begin to "feel" the latency at > 5 ms (1/200 sec!) It's still very usable, but you begin thinking about the guitar differently than if it was directly amped. I feel I can adapt up to 50ms before "using" the guitar as an interface takes more mental precedence than "playing" it. My point is, I imagine the interface will be very usable at 100ms, but that's going to have to come way down before people feel immersed in the game as opposed to feeling like they're adapting to a new kind of controller.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]830hobbes[/nom]Not bad. Not really good enough for real games though. Also 1/10s is a little misleading. I thought .2 or .3 when I saw the title.[/citation]

Huh? How can you mistake 1/10 for 2/10 or 3/10?

jamjam101

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
i think for a HOME motion capturing device that is quite impressive...considering how old the xbox technology is now with all the home pc's having quad core cpu's and much more RAM. yea the architecture is much different on the consoles but still old now, but yet Natal seems much more impressive than the 'Arc'. and also seeing what the PS3 technology is, Natal seemed more appropriate for PS3 but MS blew everyone away

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]guess that's not as bad as many gamers predicted...average ping from MW2 is higher than THAT...[/citation]

So you can add your ping to that bonus 100ms.

Its good enough for all non-competitive games.

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Guys, when he said he thought 1/10s meant 0.2 or 0.3, THIS IS WHAT HE MEANT.

"Yeah, it seems to reach the thousandS." Note the "S" in THOUSANDS.

Here it's 1/10s, meaning multiple, plural 1/10s, Meaning it's somewhere in the 0.1~0.9 second range, but not over a second and not below 0.1 second.

Hence, the confusion. Of course the article later clears it up saying it is a mean between 0.08 and 0.12 for 0.1, but still, you guys shouldn't be insulting his "grade school math" just because you can't recognize misleading titles when it tosses itself at your faces.

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Just to clarify:
[citation][nom]830hobbes[/nom]Not bad. Not really good enough for real games though. Also 1/10s is a little misleading. I thought .2 or .3 when I saw the title.[/citation]

He read 1/10s as "one-tenths" instead of "one tenth of a second." We all cool? No more calling each other names.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]Now I want to know the lag in REAL GAMES. Those demos are press releases to gain hype meaning the processing is all geared towards making the lag seem next to nothing. Once you add the hundreds if not thousands of aspects to a game that is successful (AI, physics for everything that can move, 10-50 moving character models, etc) the lag is going to increase because you can not devote to processing power to the motion prediction needed for Natal.[/citation]

The lag would be the same. For Natal the lag is produced in how Natal processes you body.
It then wraps in up in a nice neat little package and sends the input to the 360 which is responsible for the game itself.

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]mlcloud[/nom]Just to clarify: He read 1/10s as "one-tenths" instead of "one tenth of a second." We all cool? No more calling each other names.[/citation]

SO what you are saying is that you are going out of your way to make your friend sound less idiotic? The headline is not misleading.
1/10s is not "one-tenths" and even if it was that's still dumb. The correct word for the plural form would be "tenths".
You are saying that it would be okay to say, "Hey, look at all those that one person." as opposed to "Hey, look at all those people."

Double Fail!

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
LOL, just LOL...

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]guess that's not as bad as many gamers predicted...average ping from MW2 is higher than THAT...[/citation]

Yeah...but pings on MW2 suck =/

I personally like a good server at ~50ms, but that's just me and my 100+ fps....

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
smells like a whole lot of fail. no ones going to want to play online/competitive games with this because of the disadvantage from this additional lag. It will be cool for single player games and cool little interactive AI demos and such tho, just not for hardcore gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.