Need a automatic audio 'gain normalization' program.

Funkosapien

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I need a automatic audio 'gain normalization' program (although a manual program'll do). And possibly even a 'auto trim' program to trim silence off the start and ends of tracks and yet again Id prefer a batch program if one exists but not fussed if no such thing exists and Ive gotta do it manually.

I found a 'auto gain' plugin for winamp that automatically adjusts the gain on mp3's so they appear to be one steady volume across tracks of different volumes (recording qualities) so I dont have to constantly adjust the volume every 5 minutes and so it'll prevent any damage to speakers when a loud song plays after a quiet song. Problem is that it records the settings for each track in a file and is only effective in winamp. And does not affect the actual file so it wont work if I want to put it on a mp3 player/dvd. Id do it by hand but theres a lot of files that need modifying so IF possible Id prefer a automatic program. Id also probably prefer something that analyses a batch, brings the higher ones down and the lower ones up so they one steady volume as adjusting the gain too much on a low volume track makes it distorted. But that is IF such a thing exists and to be real Im not that fussed if theres only manual programs Ill do it manually.

I am not asking people to go out of their way to search for this stuff Ill already be searching. Simply asking if theyve already got experience with one they'd recommend or possibly even a search term that may be applicable.

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I don't know if it'll do you any good, but Audacity does have some of these capabilities. Just import several audio files then export them all once you've made the fixes. Audacity is free, though the program, strangely, hasn't been updated in a long time (I've seen 1.2.6 as being the latest version for about 2 or 3 years now so I think the program is no longer being developed). There is a more up to date beta, if you're willing to risk bugs. I've used Audacity in the past to batch convert WAV files to MP3, before a got a BAT file to do the same thing with lame.