Solved! Need a first time gaming laptop for Witcher 3 etc

Nov 4, 2018
Hi guys, am a console peasant at the moment but am looking at going into pc gaming which I have little to no knowledge of, except that it’s loads better than console gaming. Am looking for something (second hand cheap) that’d run the Mass Effect trilogy, even if it only runs ME trilogy for now in the New Year am hoping to be in more of a financial situation to be able to afford something to run the newer games. What would it take to run Mass Effect, Witcher 3 etc?

Solution
The Mass Effect Trilogy is not graphically demanding. The Intel UHD 620 integrated graphics core would be enough to play those games at 1080p and default settings with decent results; 25 FPS to 45 FPS on average ranging between combat and simply walking around the Citadel. Lowering the resolution would provide better performance. The Witcher 3 is on a totally different level; it is a pretty demanding game.

I have never played the Witcher 3, but I would say that if you want good performance of 50+ FPS on average @ 1080p with medium graphics settings then a laptop with a GTX 1050 should be good enough. The GTX 1050 gets on average about 38 FPS on high settings based on several laptops tested by Notebookcheck.net. Click the link below...
The Mass Effect Trilogy is not graphically demanding. The Intel UHD 620 integrated graphics core would be enough to play those games at 1080p and default settings with decent results; 25 FPS to 45 FPS on average ranging between combat and simply walking around the Citadel. Lowering the resolution would provide better performance. The Witcher 3 is on a totally different level; it is a pretty demanding game.

I have never played the Witcher 3, but I would say that if you want good performance of 50+ FPS on average @ 1080p with medium graphics settings then a laptop with a GTX 1050 should be good enough. The GTX 1050 gets on average about 38 FPS on high settings based on several laptops tested by Notebookcheck.net. Click the link below for GTX 1050 info and game benchmarks. Each benchmark number you see is for a specific laptop.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1050-Notebook.178614.0.html

Then nVidia mx150 is a "mainstream" dedicated GPU which is a step down from the GTX 1050, but will be in less expensive laptops. However, it is a big step down in performance in the Witcher 3. At 1366x768 resolution and medium settings the average FPS is 34FPS; depending on the specific laptop tested with the mx150, average performance ranges between 24 FPS to 43 FPS.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-MX150-Benchmark-and-Specs-of-the-GT-1030-for-Laptops.223530.0.html

Solution
If you can afford $400 for the Buy It Now option, then the following Dell laptop with an i5-7300HQ and GTX 1050 looks to be a good deal. You can opt to bid on it instead, but if the auction price goes above the Buy It Now option, then whoever bids the highest will win. The real bidding war generally starts during the final hour of bidding.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Inspiron-15-5577-Gaming-Laptop-GTX-1050-1TB-8GB-Ram-i5-7300/132844583529?epid=844358499&hash=item1eee277a69:g:UpAAAOSwNqRb3120:rk:11:pf:0

Nov 4, 2018

Thanks a lot for the answer mate, I’ll take a look now. G