Solved! Need a good laptop for engineering college please suggest some

cheshta1

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Need a laptop for an engineering university. Please recommend some good laptops and laptop brands. What i need.. Intel core duo at a min 2.2ghz, 2gb min 4gb recommended. Hard drive BO-200 gb, dvd/cd or dvd/rw , 10/100/1000 mbs ethernet adapter,wireless 802.11 adapter, graphics media acclerator, 128 mb video card min. Windows vista home premium or business, three year old warrenty

Solution
Asus is the most reliable brand. HP is the worst, If you plan to keep this laptop for a good while... Go with a brand that has a good reputation.
Dell's are really a strange game, many people have problems with them, many don't. MSI is also a good brand, Toshiba is not far behind. Lenovo and Sony Vaio are not the best, but can get more expensive then the rest.

I'd recommend something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215122

For quality, this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246131

hamza_93

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
hello friend .me too just got admitted in mechanical engg bsc (4 years). im also planning to buy a good laptop .my thread is also in running position in this forum . i can suggest u some good dell sony hp laptop

first of all tell me ur budget

whatever type of laptop u want to buy just make sure it CAN PASS UR ENGG TENURE whether its 3 years or 4 years . WAITING FOR UR REPLY.

cheshta1

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
hi!! thank tou so much for answering........ actually the laptop should cost less than $1000....... not really sure which laptop and brand to buy.........which one do you think is good??? i recently looked into Dell inspiron 15 R , Dell XPS 14R, asus bamboo , sony vaio....not really sure which one to buy an also dont really know what to actually need for engineering college.... as you are an engineer too..... please recomend a good laptop.....can be apart from the mentioned too.....please help!!!

cheshta1

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Do you think dell XPS laptops are the best...for engineering colleges... Others like the dell inspiron, asus bamboo ,lenovo think pads or samsung laptops are not worth it? In almost all the reviews they say that dell XPS 15R laptops are good for the home theatre and stuff, giving really nice picture quality. Do you think as they do good to this stuff, they would compramise on other stuff? Could you please specify the most important things to be there in an engineering laptop? Which one do you own or were impressed with one. Really sorry if i am bothering you. Pls pls pls help

hamza_93

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
i have just started mechanical engineering so like u i am looking into many reviews and i hav decided to go for dell xps because it fulfills my demand of making 3d models machines etc etc because it has high quality screen good prosessor and im buying it FOR ATLEAST 4-5 years .and it has every future proofing things like blu ray , usb 3.0 hdmi ssd option as well

now u tell me ur USAGE and field of engineering first

NOW urs question (answer)

MOST IMP thing in laptop for engineering student

1)it should have nicer processor , ram so u can do ur research work and simultaneously u can print scan etc etc at the same time in a nutshell u can open more app side by side

2)if ur prof. tells u to give a presentation so laptop should be portable so best screen size is 14-15.6" should have ports like hdmi etc etc so u can connect it to projector

3)it should be future proofed so u can cover ur engineering tenure . tech changes day by day so u should buy a good one once its better than buying other laptop after every single year or upgrading it its ennoying and not economical

i hav more points in my mind but u hav to specify ur eng.. field

cheshta1

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
i am goin to join the engineering college in june or july this year...........for the first year i guess it is the same syllabus for all the engineering students..... any ways i have choises between (your field) mechanical engineering, IT, computer engineering,.......... so dont really know for sure.........do you know anything about these fiels........as in what are the specifications needed????????? one more question is intel i5 better than intel i3.......oviously it is better......but if you look at the engineering needs is i7 worth it?????? also what should be the minimum screen size...?????? thanks you so much for helping.........

Mech Student Eng

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
The best laptop for your money if you want a fast processor, good ram, good hard-drive and a good brand GET a HP DV6t Quad Edition.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?template_type=cto_store&sto_cto=XW898AV&brand_name=hp

$1000 and you get:

I7- 2630QM
1GB GDDR5 Radeon HD 6490M Graphics
6GB DDR3 System Memory
640GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery (5.5 hours of battery life +++)

You will not find a better deal ( :bounce: ) or price for these components together in one system.

**one downside** This is an American (USA) exclusive product.

Azorlorn

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Since you are looking for a laptop to last, you should consider looking at gaming computers almost exclusively. They will have better cooling and better graphics/power/ram ect. to last you until you graduate.

If you decide Dell, I would suggest XPS for this reason or Alienware (but this brand is VERY pricey)

Don't look only at mainstream brands either. Consider Sager (my fav), Asus, MSI, and other brands. You will find a better computer with these companies than Dell almost every time for the price range you are looking at.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Asus is the most reliable brand. HP is the worst, If you plan to keep this laptop for a good while... Go with a brand that has a good reputation.
Dell's are really a strange game, many people have problems with them, many don't. MSI is also a good brand, Toshiba is not far behind. Lenovo and Sony Vaio are not the best, but can get more expensive then the rest.

I'd recommend something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215122

For quality, this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246131

Solution