Solved! Need a light, sleek, high performance Laptop. SSD+HDD or Optane (not a fan of gaming laptops)

Jan 27, 2019
Hey! I'm a Civil engineer and have a need to run at least 2 different designing software simultaneously, as in AutoCAD, Revit, StaadPRO, Primavera, Photoshop. I currently have an 8GB ram with 2Gb graphics and im suffering lags from time to time. The boot time is too long and programs take too long to launch. So I have planned to get myself a new laptop. I need some help in getting the specs right as i have been confused by the opinions of various salesmen. I'm in a dilemma between going for a SDD+HDD with 16 GB RAM and 2 gb mx150 graphics, or to go for a laptop with a HDD and 4GB RAM and 16 GB optane memory
I need a number pad for easier data input and some high graphic credentials for fast rendering.
Need some help. Open to any suggestions for another model also.

Solution
8 GB RAM and 2 GB graphics does not really say anything about your system now. What exactly is the model of laptop you have now, CPU, drive type, video card?

It's not really hard to pick out a good laptop, just look at any of the engineering class systems, Lenovo P models are good, probably the ones I would recommend. Don't worry about Optane memory, it seems to be dying out as an option. Only thing to watch out for is the SSD prices, they are really high. You may be better off getting a system then swapping in your own M.2 drive.

8 GB RAM and 2 GB graphics does not really say anything about your system now. What exactly is the model of laptop you have now, CPU, drive type, video card?

It's not really hard to pick out a good laptop, just look at any of the engineering class systems, Lenovo P models are good, probably the ones I would recommend. Don't worry about Optane memory, it seems to be dying out as an option. Only thing to watch out for is the SSD prices, they are really high. You may be better off getting a system then swapping in your own M.2 drive.

Solution