need advice on best features of cheap tables ....

xtal_01

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
My wife is disabled and we wanted a table so she can remote control a few items such as my Camera ( Panasonic FZ1000 has an app to control it ). We are also about to take a 1 month road trip in an RV (first trip in 5 years) and we see app's for Disney World and other events .... we have never had a table or even a smart phone.

We don't want to spend a lot of money ... but like everyone want to get the most for our money.

I read all the posts ... looked at speed charts .... just confused myself.

I see a few "american pumkin" models around $125. I get confused though ... quad core with 1 gig ram & 32 gig rom .... dual core with 2 gig ram & 32 gig rom, ... on Ebay (Venstar) quad core, 2 gig but only 16 gig rom (read this is too small with 4.4 ... something about can't move app to external card on 4.4 ????).

So after a week of reading we are lost! I see some have GPS ... don't know if we will use it but it might be nice for the trip. We will only use the WiFi not a phone. In this price range ( $75 - $150 ) they may all be about the same. We just want to get the best we can for the money. I want to get it on order by Monday so it can be here by the end of the week.
Code:

Thanks so much .... Mike

Solution
Like you said, a lot of tablets in that price range are more or less the same. In fact, there are a lot of reports that the lower end ones (sub-$100) come with a lot of security vulnerabilities.

Personally, I would suggest the Nexus 7: http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Google-7-Inch-Black-Tablet/dp/B00DVFLJDS

A bit dated, but perfectly suitable for general tasks and in a pretty good price range currently (although it's a bit above your stated budget). Still, I think it's worth it. You'll be getting a device with minimal bloatware and unneeded extras, as pure of a "stock Android" experience as you'll get.
Like you said, a lot of tablets in that price range are more or less the same. In fact, there are a lot of reports that the lower end ones (sub-$100) come with a lot of security vulnerabilities.

Personally, I would suggest the Nexus 7: http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Google-7-Inch-Black-Tablet/dp/B00DVFLJDS

A bit dated, but perfectly suitable for general tasks and in a pretty good price range currently (although it's a bit above your stated budget). Still, I think it's worth it. You'll be getting a device with minimal bloatware and unneeded extras, as pure of a "stock Android" experience as you'll get.

Solution