Need advice on good headset or headphone+mic combo to replace my Logitech G930

Elijah Ryker

Estimable
Jul 7, 2015
So here's the long version of this..
I’ve been using the Logitech G930 headset for about 3 years now or so and despite all its flaws I have loved the headset. Unfortunately i just moved and ever since then have been experiencing a lot of disconnecting issues that i think might have to do with the influx of interference on the 2.4 band from living in an apartment (I’ve had this issue before with this headset and it was solved by disconnecting a few 2.4ghz wireless devices that were near it)…... well this coupled with the other frustrations I’ve had with it over the years finally pushed me to insanity.. So I’m looking to replace it with something different. I tried probably 5 or 6 different headsets before I stuck with the G930 and hated them all.. I’m about ready to swear off gaming headsets entirely, hence the title. I have currently purchased the corsair H2100’s and they seem very comparable to the Logitech’s… minus one big caveat that is going to upset me to no end.. No side tones.. There is no way to hear myself while I’m talking and it drives me nuts.

So in my pursuit of something better I’ve pretty much convinced myself that I need a headphone/mic combo instead of all these junk “gaming headsets” out there…

Here’s what I’m looking for:
1) Wireless.. I understand this is hard to do but For heaphones.. I’m really hooked on wireless.. I could be convinced to buy something not wireless but if possible I would like to stay wireless.. I’ve been wireless for 3 years and it is LIBERATING.
2) Decent soundquality. I am not an audiophile by any means so when I say decent soundquality.. well I really do mean “decent”. As long as it sounds OK I’ll be happy and I am willing to sacrifice some SQ for the Wireless
3) Comfort. Must be comfortable for 6-10 hours at a time.. I am an EvE player.. I spend a lot of time wearing it and chatting with people on teamspeak.
4) SIDETONES!!! I would probably stick with the H2100 if it had this feature.. basically what this means is for a Mic I’m looking for one that isn’t stupid expensive that has some kind of a no delay loopback feature.. I know the blue yeti has this but it’s a little outside my price range once paired with decent headphones.
5) PRICE: I’m looking to stay within the $150 mark

On a side note, I’ve also been SERIOUSLY considering just buying a good VOIP style headset (monaural) that will sit on one ear, can put teamspeak over (wouldn’t need sidetones cause I’d be able to hear myself naturally) and I can just play my game sounds over my speakers. Not even sure where to start looking for a really decent and comfortable wireless voip headset though. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Solution
if wireless is not required, you might want to look at something like a hd518 paired with a modmic paired with a xonar dg (if you wanted virtual surround and lack it on your current onboard, otherwise not needed). for sidetones you could use windows listen to this device. an alternative would be the hd518 paired with a atr2500 which does have built in passthrough on the mic. if you wanted a less neutral sound and something less bassy (note: most consider it almost bass-less) and more advantageous in fps games (though less exciting sounding) the ad500x is a good choice for gaming as well and can be substituted instead of the 518.

cant say i can note any monaurals as thats outside what i commonly deal with.
wireless cuts out quite a bit of good choices in your price range as there really are not as many good wireless buys for the price. getting a decent wireless mic without any extra equipment is also not so easy. if wireless is absolutely required you might need to stick with the worse audio quality of headsets.

if you can be convinced to go with wires, there are some options i could certainly recommend

as for sidetones, if you "listen to this device" in your mic windows properties you should be able to hear yourself. the atr2500 has a headphone jack for directly monitoring though of course you give up virtual surround by using it (if you use that with your souncard)

Elijah Ryker

Estimable
Jul 7, 2015

I appreciate the response.
so, as far as wireless goes.. i could live without it if i had to, and the mic for sure does not need to be wireless but it would be nice if the headphones were, though this is not a necessity, just a huge bonus.

also, any ideas as to a good voip monaural headset? cause that would eliminate the need for the sidetones and everything and would probably be more comfortable and easier to get wireless i would assume? any ideas?

if wireless is not required, you might want to look at something like a hd518 paired with a modmic paired with a xonar dg (if you wanted virtual surround and lack it on your current onboard, otherwise not needed). for sidetones you could use windows listen to this device. an alternative would be the hd518 paired with a atr2500 which does have built in passthrough on the mic. if you wanted a less neutral sound and something less bassy (note: most consider it almost bass-less) and more advantageous in fps games (though less exciting sounding) the ad500x is a good choice for gaming as well and can be substituted instead of the 518.

cant say i can note any monaurals as thats outside what i commonly deal with.

Solution

Elijah Ryker

Estimable
Jul 7, 2015

thank you so much for your time :) this is perfect! i think i'll go with the atr2500 and probably the as500x. seems like it would be a great setup.