Solved! Need advice on new 65" TV

Dec 17, 2018
I'm in the market for a new 65" TV. I've been studying up on the specs and lingo to try to figure out the best options, but I'm wondering how much difference technical superiority is really going to make on a $1k TV. As a casual movie watcher, am I really going to notice a difference in contrasts qualities or HDR? I'd love to get back lighting or OLED, but they are out of my price range. At this point I'm looking at my top two choices as the LG 65SK8000PUA or the Samsung UN65NU8000FXZA. I know a lot of people like TCL, but I've also seen a lot of complaints about banding and I'm not sure I want to play the lottery with that. Would I even see a big difference between those two? Recommendations?

Solution
I bought a 65" Samsung 8 series last month and don't regret it. Great for movies and its very fast.

Just beware that Samsung's aren't the most compatible with media streaming services such as Plex. Its always the audio compatibility (or lack of) where Samsung loses its charm - no TrueHD audio support. This is a new field for me so I'm still learning.

Also, the NU8000 only has a 10/100Mbps network card - which means if you're using a wired connection, you will not be able to exceed 100Mbps for streaming media. That won't be an issue for Netflix 4K content.

Other than that, its a great set.

eszed556

Estimable
Jan 28, 2016
I bought a 65" Samsung 8 series last month and don't regret it. Great for movies and its very fast.

Just beware that Samsung's aren't the most compatible with media streaming services such as Plex. Its always the audio compatibility (or lack of) where Samsung loses its charm - no TrueHD audio support. This is a new field for me so I'm still learning.

Also, the NU8000 only has a 10/100Mbps network card - which means if you're using a wired connection, you will not be able to exceed 100Mbps for streaming media. That won't be an issue for Netflix 4K content.

Other than that, its a great set.

Solution