Need assistance finding a replacement for 11 year old HTIB receiver.

Jul 25, 2018
Last Thursday night my receiver started making a loud humming noise coming through all my speakers. After much fussing with cables and speaker wire and a thorough cleaning inside and out. I was able to determine that it was the receiver putting the sound through the speakers and none of the connections the source. Starting Monday evening I began to get audio dropouts as well. This leads me to the conclusion that I need to replace my 11 year old receiver. Not to mention I wouldn't mind having receiver that had HDMI input sound.

I have an 11 year old Onkyo HT-SR800 home theater in a box. Due to my not wanting to rearrange the entire room and then use a 12 foot ladder to remount new speakers I would like to just replace the receiver if possible. I am however confused about how to select a new receiver that will not damage the speakers. It is my understanding that you should look at the actual Ohms on each speaker rather than the wattage and or Hertz on each speaker.

If anyone could help me actually understand what I need to look for in replacing this reciever that would be great. Also recommendations are more than welcome however I am trying to do this on a cheaper budget and trying to keep it under $350 if I can.

Thanks in advance!

HTIB comes in a set with new speakers included, but OK u want to re-use your old speakers, these are the rules:

4 ohms speakers need to be driven by 4 ohms capable amplifier. A box that says it works for 8 ohms (only, no mention 4 ohms) cannot drive 4 ohms speakers.

A box that says works with 4 ohms speakers can driver either 4 or 8 ohms. This is the more flexible box.

HTIB sometimes have these funky, non-standard connectors, hope you are handy.

Finding an HTIB with HDMI input maybe difficult. HTIB are not designed to be expandable, for you to hook up other devices to it. Reason why I personally don't like HTIB and prefer the standard AVR Audio Video Receiver.

Jul 25, 2018
HTIB comes in a set with new speakers included, but OK u want to re-use your old speakers, these are the rules:

4 ohms speakers need to be driven by 4 ohms capable amplifier. A box that says it works for 8 ohms (only, no mention 4 ohms) cannot drive 4 ohms speakers.

A box that says works with 4 ohms speakers can driver either 4 or 8 ohms. This is the more flexible box.

HTIB sometimes have these funky, non-standard connectors, hope you are handy.

Finding an HTIB with HDMI input maybe difficult. HTIB are not designed to be expandable, for you to hook up other devices to it. Reason why I personally don't like HTIB and prefer the standard AVR Audio Video Receiver.

Thanks for explaining the ohms thing. That's how I understood it from reading other posts.

I'm actually looking to buy a standalone receiver that I can use my existing mounted speakers with. Not a whole new HTIB.

Groovy.

The speakers ohms from my previous post still apply. I wouldn't worry about the power and the hz. HTIB speakers tend to be not great but you specified don't disturb, so leave them there, and if your new box damages them because you now got more power, then you replace them, u really haven't lost that much.

An AVR with all the features you want and start shopping. Shop for one with similar wattage as your HTIB and your speakers should be OK.

Jul 25, 2018
If your existing speakers still work, you can forego HTIB, and just look for AVR. You'll miss the integrated BD/DVD player, you'll get ton of HDMI, audio, DLNA and BT inputs, and not be restricted by "geniuses" who claim to know better than you.

I think your $350 will be more than enough for new 7.1 AVR.

Yeah mine doesn't have a built in player anyways so that's not a concern. Thanks.