Need assistance HTPC

tgthrs1

Prominent
Nov 7, 2017
I have just built my final PC, now I have a MSI Z87-GD65 gaming motherboard, GTX 660 GPU, have app. 40 TB of movies and growing, 32G DDR3 2400 RAM, left over. I would like to build a HTPC with 1 DVD and enough space to hold multiple hard drives, I could run Windows 7, but I need help, never build a HTPC, I have been doing quite a bit of reading but need a case and any other thing that can be suggested. I currently have a theater room with stadium seating and 10ft screen, just don;t know were to begin.

Thanks any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Given the components that you already have, I'd probably look at adding these components to complete the build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G3260 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($71.79 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone - GD08B (Black) HTPC Case ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.90 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG - WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($46.29 @ OutletPC)
Total: $297.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-25 13:43 EST-0500

The case has eight internal hard drive...
Given the components that you already have, I'd probably look at adding these components to complete the build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G3260 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($71.79 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone - GD08B (Black) HTPC Case ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.90 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG - WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($46.29 @ OutletPC)
Total: $297.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-25 13:43 EST-0500

The case has eight internal hard drive bays for your movies. You really do not need a lot of CPU power in order to just play movies. I played DVDs and recorded live TV using an old AMD Dual Core processor (I want to say a 240). You certainly won't need all that RAM and while you specified DVDs, I tossed in a Blu-Ray drive (you will need third party software to play Blu-Rays).

I still run Windows 7 for my HTPC, but apparently there are ways of getting Windows Media Center running on Windows 10 and there are other options like Kodi (on Windows or Linux).

About the only other thing to add would be a TV Tuner Card/Device. I loved my Ceton InfiniTV4 card until it burned out. I've been missing it ever since.

-Wolf sends

Solution
I believe you can still force install it ok.

The issue is it gets removed every time theres a win 10 update - & you cant turn updates off.

Id go with a fractal r4 or r5 personally jf there's room for a tower - mainly for the sound dampening.