Need cheapest, easiest way to image on 40 laptops

Brian JK

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
I work for a nonprofit that just received 40 laptops of the same model. They are all wiped clean.

I'm planning on installing the os, running all of the updates, installing the standard free AV and anti-malware software. Then comes imaging. What's the best way to get the job done? Should I use Clonezilla or is it worth the money to get Norton Ghost or something similar?

Solution
Sysprep and clonezilla will work. Install a system, run sysprep, shut it down, do not reboot. Clone drive, install clone to new system, turn on, enter PC and license info, use.

Sysprep will clear the identifiers specific to the system like the SID.
What OS are you going to install? For Windodws - there are special guides and procedures to be followed, you might want to check with Microsoft aboit OPK - OEM Preinstallation Kit

And you're aware that you will need separate Windows license for each and every laptop, don't you?

It is a feature for OEMs (small garage shops and large companies like Dell) to prepare a deployment image up to their specifications, ready for activation by the end user. Easy or not - I have not used it with Win7, so I cannot judge. But you have already activation keys anyway, so this most probably does not apply to you.

Brian JK

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

What have you used? I just want to know if there's a truly good reason why I should buy something like true image or norton ghost or if clonezilla or something else will do the trick.

As I said, I haven't mass-cloned Windows in many years, and I have used Microsoft tools.
Once upon a time, it was necessary to run SID-changer after imaging to ensure each installation' unuque SID. If your laptops will NOT be part of Windows domain, I suppose you can use any cloning tool. Just make sure you change that computer name / IP configuration after clonning, or you will see funny stuff ;)

Sysprep and clonezilla will work. Install a system, run sysprep, shut it down, do not reboot. Clone drive, install clone to new system, turn on, enter PC and license info, use.

Sysprep will clear the identifiers specific to the system like the SID.

Solution