Need help choosing gaming headphones

Solution

It is not a 300$ headset, i use it now for like 2 years. In other games i can hear enemies with no problem (i used it for SF2 s.k.i.l.l.) but in CS:GO there is difference, i can't hear enemies as good as in other games - i don't know whether is the game or the headphone's, but i think that it is just the game. But yes, i mostly can hear where the enemies come from. Only sometimes when the enemy is near i'm not sure if the enemy is behind me or in front of me (like...
Drop the pointless "7.1 surround sound" "requirement" and everything else can be achieved with a variety of good headphones like the ATH-AD500X and HD518 families. Throw in a modmic or fully external mic and you'll have a good time.

Post your budget and sound preference (hear footsteps better, more cinematic sound, etc)

MichaelKanRS

Estimable
Oct 15, 2015

I have a budget of $50 and I usually play CS:GO so definitely hear footsteps better. I still don't see why 7.1 is bad.

1) That budget is too low for high quality sets, if you can bump it up to $75 you'll find much better stuff
2) 7.1 isn't bad, it's impossible, since headphones independently "drive" your TWO ears. You ONLY have two independent channels, so everything else is just virtualization.
2b) 7.1 IS bad, since it's worse than the built in headphone virtualization in most games. Only if your game doesn't support headphone virtualization should you ever consider it (cs go does support it)
3) You won't find any decent "surround" type headphones for that price. You can get the Cloud II for a bit more, but again it's just virtual 7.1 and pointless when your game supports headphones.

MichaelKanRS

Estimable
Oct 15, 2015

So what headphones do you recommend me? I want to be able to hear footsteps and identify where they are coming from in CS:GO.

Grusek

Estimable
Feb 5, 2016
I'm using the Logitech G430, It's 7.1 dolby surround sound. I also use it for CS:GO.. The headset feels a bit 'cheap' but the surround sound is good, The price is ~60.

MichaelKanRS

Estimable
Oct 15, 2015

Are you able to know where the enemies are coming from? P.S. What's your rank?

For that type, get some ATH-AD500X. From what ssddx says those are highly recommended (http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2952079/gaming-headphones-gaming.html)

Grusek

Estimable
Feb 5, 2016

It is not a 300$ headset, i use it now for like 2 years. In other games i can hear enemies with no problem (i used it for SF2 s.k.i.l.l.) but in CS:GO there is difference, i can't hear enemies as good as in other games - i don't know whether is the game or the headphone's, but i think that it is just the game. But yes, i mostly can hear where the enemies come from. Only sometimes when the enemy is near i'm not sure if the enemy is behind me or in front of me (like behind a door it something). My rank is MG2, before the update i was DMG.

I hope this will help you pick the right headphone's. I recommend you to do some research on the internet for the best surround headphones under ~70.. i don't think there are good surround headphones under 50$, that is a really low budget.

Solution