need help concerning cpu temp plz

Hussien_2

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
So I have a 950m, 2.7ghz dual core laptop, but only when i play pubg(720p low) the real temp app records a "log" in one of the cores after a while of playing, which means the max temp has reached at some point and the cpu have lowered its speed, which causes the game to drop fps from 60 all the way to 40 or 35. my question is: is it safe to continue playing after a cpu has throttled and lowered its speed or should i stop playing that particular game until better optimization, thanks!

Solution

You shouldn't worry about it. Most laptops are horrible for gaming due to lack of good performance from laptop components and then the cooling is usually pretty lacking for heavy gaming.

That being said, your CPU will thermal throttle when it...

jdcranke07

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

You shouldn't worry about it. Most laptops are horrible for gaming due to lack of good performance from laptop components and then the cooling is usually pretty lacking for heavy gaming.

That being said, your CPU will thermal throttle when it reaches its max temp and your laptop cooling system will kick on to max settings to prevent the CPU from over heating. More than likely, your thermal paste is fine.

If you are concerned with temps and/or you want to game longer at 60fps, you can get a laptop cooler that will have the laptop sitting on top of it and the fan blowing onto the bottom of the chassis. Try to stay away from gaming on your lap or a blanket or bed. Also make sure the exhaust vent is not obstructed, so the cooling system can dissipate as much heat as it can.

If you end up not liking how your laptop performs, then you can get a laptop with better cooling or more power components that won't run as hot during the the same game play. I wouldn't bank on game developers going further to optimize their games. You can look at Watch Dogs as a perfect example of horrible optimization and it's been out for a few years with no changes.

Solution

Hussien_2

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017

But should I stop playing the game if it throttled or is ok to keep playing?

jdcranke07

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

It will be okay to keep playing, but you should consider an exterior cooling method if you are that worried about it.