Need help deciding on high end gaming laptop questions looking for some opinions and help

Wisconsingamer

Estimable
Jul 19, 2015
I need a little help deciding on what laptop I should purchase. I have it narrowed down to a digital storm, originpc, or the msi gt80 titan sli.

My issue is I know that digital storm and originpc have top notch service and make top of the line laptops. However when I compare these two to the msi gt80 Titan sli it seems like your getting more bang for your buck with the msi. Two 970m running in sli with 6 gb on each card.

However I don't know what kind of service you recieve with msi laptop or how reliable they are. I'm pretty sure there warranty service would be out of the country but I haven't checked that out yet. Also it's stated that the you can Replace everything but the cou on the msi laptop including the graphics cards.

I guess I'm looking for a few opinions and some more knowledge on msi laptops. I was leaning towards a custom laptop from a boutique retailer but this msi looks really nice problem is it has a slightly underpowered cpu compared to what boutique retailer would do. The msi is almost the exact same price as the two boutiques versions but has two cards in sli.

Would really love a few opinions on everything thanks.

Solution

Wisconsingamer

Estimable
Jul 19, 2015

Do you think it matters if it has the the 4gb graphics memory or the 8 I have been looking for only 980m with 8 gb for the simple reason that I know games will constantly be asking for more from cards in the future

sirstinky

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Yes, the Sager PC's have more customizability. As far as VRAM, it's good to have as much as possible, but once you get to a certain point the only real advantages you have is at higher resolution (like 2K and 4K gaming) and higher detail settings with multiple displays. Even then, the differences between 4GB and 8GB aren't spectacular. The desktop GTX 970 can game at 4K with only 4 GB VRAM. The 980ti makes due with 6 GB and is the fastest single-GPU card now. The main area that future games will be demanding more of is CPU and memory bandwidth/speed (memory clock-the faster the better). Games that can fully use 4 cores or more are around the corner and games now do benefit from higher memory clock speeds (look at the GTX 970/980) and more bandwidth (AMD's HBM is very important and will only get better). The thing is how much money you're willing to spend. The bottom line is get the best GPU you can afford if you want the best performance.

Wisconsingamer

Estimable
Jul 19, 2015

Taking what you said into account there's a 4k version of a safer with an 8gb 980m would that run the 4k screen at max specs everything on ultra or at this point is a 1080p my best bet. I like the Msi as well but there gsync model only had a 4gb980m or the more expensive options at three grand are over priced with weird raid setups.
I had even considered a sli Msi setup however not every game supports sli and I'm an mom guy once I get hooked into another that will be my primary game with the occasional fallout4 and a few others. I have been leaning towards a single 980 with a desktop i7 4790 unlocked with a1080p gsync screen

Then I saw a 4k screen with gsync and was like hmm but I don't even think I'd notice it on such a small screen. Also with everything starting to switch to windows 10. I like safer because three year warranty is good and has a nice sound I also like the Titan sli from Msi with two 970. It's such a hard thing to decide I want to keep this thing for four years maybe 5 so Msi with the upgradable graphics cards are nice idea too. Thoughts

sirstinky

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012

Well for true future-proofing the best option is a desktop. It's super easy to upgrade them with the hardware available these days so you can keep it current until you really want to get new tech. One motherboard can support a whole range of CPU's. Pretty much any LGA 1150 motherboard from $60-$400 can support an LGA 1150 CPU, and can support any GPU out there (AMD or NVIDIA) and any RAM out there (with the exception of DDR4, which you'd need an LGA 2011 CPU and board). So your options are endless depending on how much $$$ you are able to spend. You can build a super nice desktop that will do everything you want your laptop to do for around $1500-$1600. Look at this one I put together: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cHb6f7 That's with a single 980

Here's with dual 970's http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fLqJdC

These are out the door PC's with the OS. All you need to add is keyboard/mouse and monitor. Granted, 4K monitors are $$$ right now, but I think 1080p looks just as good with a good IPS display. You need a large monitor to get any real discernible difference between 4K and 1080p in my opinion anyways.

Solution

Wisconsingamer

Estimable
Jul 19, 2015

I agree with you already have a desktop but want a nice laptop for traveling times etc. is it worth getting an Msi Titan with 970m in sli or just go with a good 980 and an ips display

sirstinky

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012

The 980m is a great chip, but I think the 970m's in SLI will give you better performance. http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-970M.126694.0.html