Need Help Finding the Right Speaker Amp for a Custom Soundbar.

ZanyLlama

Estimable
Oct 27, 2014
I have a soundbar that's been sitting in my basement for a while- I believe it's custom built since there are no model numbers or anything on it other than on the individual speakers themselves- and even those are very limited. It's in a very generic housing- with the fabric on the outside and the wood on the inside.

Here's what I know:

camera_capture.jpg

The attached picture is what on the front (I believe it's two mid-woofers and two tweeters). The entire bar is about 40" in length and 8" tall. On the back are two separate of the "clamp" inputs that require a bare wire to be inserted, one for signal and one for (either power or ground I believe). Basically in total, 4 wires need to be going into this to have all the speakers playing. (It is wired for stereo audio).

What type of amp should I get? I'm looking for something with good enough sound quality to be able to use this to mix a recording off of, but I definitely don't want to spend a whole lot of money- hopefully below $50, somewhere around $20-$30 would be great. If it has Bluetooth that's an added bonus but it needs to have a 3.5mm input. Any suggestions?

Thank you! I'm sorry for not totally knowing what's going on here.

Solution
That looks more like a car or van stereo speaker than a soundbar.
If you can find a used stereo receiver or amp that would be the best option.
The small digital amps are usually not rated in the same way as normal stereo components so the power is often exaggerated. The module you link to also requires a power supply to run it.
I suspect that it's not good enough a speaker for mixing. Maybe you can borrow an amp to try it before you spend money on it.

VincentP

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
If there are four connections on the back, these are likely just common and active for each channel (left + right).
This means there should be a crossover in the box to limit frequency ranges to each speaker.
The input impedance on the crossover is likely 6 ohm or 8 ohm.

Most AV receivers or stereo amplifiers should support impedance of at least 6 to 8 ohm, but it is good to check the spec if possible.
In the price range you have specified, try ebay for something second hand.

ZanyLlama

Estimable
Oct 27, 2014

I'm sorry but I'm really lost. I have no idea what exactly I'm looking for. Am I looking for something more like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019MBUX40/ref=b2b_gw_d_simh_a1_1_p/154-0894411-2765968?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B019MBUX40&pd_rd_r=0WN4RZHNKHWZMN5P7BN0&pd_rd_w=hgTVC&pd_rd_wg=cRQjF&pf_rd_i=b2b-desktop&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WN4RZHNKHWZMN5P7BN0&pf_rd_t=ABGateway&refRID=0WN4RZHNKHWZMN5P7BN0

Or like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IXVKF9I/ref=b2b_gw_d_simh_a1_8_p/154-0894411-2765968?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01IXVKF9I&pd_rd_r=0WN4RZHNKHWZMN5P7BN0&pd_rd_w=hgTVC&pd_rd_wg=cRQjF&pf_rd_i=b2b-desktop&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WN4RZHNKHWZMN5P7BN0&pf_rd_t=ABGateway&refRID=0WN4RZHNKHWZMN5P7BN0

Also what wattage should I be looking for?

VincentP

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
These are ok I guess. The second one has higher output, but you will need to mount it in a box or something and buy a power supply.
It really depends on the sound quality and volume you are looking for. These are pretty basic. The power ratings are probably PMPO, which is not a good indicator of real output without excessive distortion. Something better might have a specification like 30W RMS per channel at 1% THD.

ZanyLlama

Estimable
Oct 27, 2014
Do you have any specific suggestions? I guess I'm shooting for about $30. If it's lose than great but if i can pay a little more for noticeable betyer quality then I will. I really don't need this to get super loud.

That looks more like a car or van stereo speaker than a soundbar.
If you can find a used stereo receiver or amp that would be the best option.
The small digital amps are usually not rated in the same way as normal stereo components so the power is often exaggerated. The module you link to also requires a power supply to run it.
I suspect that it's not good enough a speaker for mixing. Maybe you can borrow an amp to try it before you spend money on it.

Solution