Need help removing Anonymizergadget by Jetico Ltd.

Grey Aria

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
So I was disabling Facebook's Game Room app from running on startup, and as I was scrolling through the list of other programs, I found something called Anonymizergadget by Jetico Ltd.

I didn't recognize it, so I Googled it, and from what I gather, it's a PUP that is supposed to be a free proxy service that allows you to stay anonymous when online. However, it seems like many people have problems with it constantly connecting to various web pages, potentially installs other PUPs, adware and malware, and screws with the registry really badly.

Pretty regularly, Firefox opens on its own (I used to be a huge Firefox fan, but I stick with Chrome these days) and my antivirus (AVG) will pop up with a warning about malicious webpages being blocked. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with this program.

How it was installed on my laptop is a mystery, but I want it gone.

I tried using Revo Uninstaller to remove it, but after restarting my laptop and checking msconfig for the startup programs, Anonymizergadget was still listed. Searching Windows for any program folders yields no results, even when I type in exactly what it says under location in msconfig.

There are several websites with tutorials on how to get rid of this particular piece of software, but every single one of them wants me to download a different removal tool, and each site has a different tool. None of them are particularly 'reputable' as far as I can tell, and searching the forums on AVG, Cnet, Microsoft, and here have yielded no information.

Tom's has helped me out greatly in the past with stuff that I couldn't find answers to anywhere else, and I trust the info I get here more than most other sites.

Even if it's not really doing anything (it was disabled as a startup program when I first noticed it and still is), I have precious little space on this ancient 250 GB hard drive, and I don't like to have software installed that I don't need.

So how the hell can I get rid of this software? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!

HP Pavilion Dv5t 1000 CTO
Windows Ultimate 32 Bit
4GB RAM (2.97 GB usable)
Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz
nVidia GeForce 9200M GS (integrated