Need help to build OS

sazsolutions

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
Hi guys, Im super interested in creating a simple yet powrful OS. Please let me know what language I should learn and some resources I can use to develop the OS. Are there any prebuild modules that I can take and modify and ise? Thanks alot and I really appreciate it!

What you mean as OS?
Where your OS will be executed - desktop (x86) PC, something else?
And yes, there are "prebuild and tested modules" - this is Linux, OpenBSD, even Android to some extent.

You'll be wasting your time reinventing the wheel. Better think about writing a game for iPhone / Android, at least you will see something. And get a book about OS design after you get a programming class.

sazsolutions

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
I want to really modify some OS to put on my raspberry pi and later onto my micro controller. What do you think of FreeBSD? I've went onto the FreeBSD website and so I have been thinking about getting it.

There are plenty of OSs for the RPi (many Linux clones, RISC OS), just grab one of already made and debugged. Without intrinsic knowledge of the RPi, and OS design, you will spend your time on bootloader only.

For your micro-controller - there is probably already some form of OS available (uCOS is a popular choice here, and can be for the price of a book). Again, no need to reinvent the wheel.

TRENDING THREADS