Solved! need help to choose a laptop under 1300e , apple vs asus vs msi vs others.

Ingcam

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
Hello everybody. I decided to create this topic because I can not decide between the following 3 laptops: Macbook pro 13 "retina 2015 (i5,128ssd, 8gb ram) that I find well done, light enough and with good The XMG a507 (16gb ram, i7 7xxxHQ, samsung ssd pcie 960 250gb and a gtx 1050 4gb) that I find performing even if I believe that a ssd evo 850 ample enough for this configuration, I also saw the Msi pe60 (i7 hq, 16gb ram, ssd + hdd and a 1050 of 2gb) and the asus ux510 which seems to be a good average point between the mac and the others even if I'm afraid it is neither as good (I7 7xxx U, gtx960m 4gb, 8gb ram extensible I believe) I would like to add that I was using a toshiba portege z930 (i5 xxxxU, 128gb ssd, intel hd graphics 4000, 6gb Ram) which was a good ultraportable of 1.1kg but of a screen size a bit fair.I am a student in civil engineering I do not use specially powerful programs, basic office, matlab, and probably Autocad, sap 2000 and other autodesk programs in the future. I do not play specially but as a youngster, if I have time (rare) and material for I could play from time to time) I am looking for a solid computer and that will last in time.What do you advise me, thank you To everyone. PS: my budget is around 1200-1300 euros.

Solution
To be honest, I think the battery on the Tornado is meant as an emergency device in case of power outage. That said, the MSI PE60 offers 4+ hours of useful up-time and weighs 2.4 kg - not a whole lot of difference in real life. And most gaming laptops are only available with TN panels.

If battery life and weight are central to your decision, you're basically back to dual-core notebooks/ultrabooks, like this 14" Lenovo ThinkPad T460:
http://shop.lenovo.com/de/de/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t460/#SYSTEM

The dual-core Skylake i5 will give you 14 hours of battery life, weight is down to 1.7 kg and it comes with a 2K IPS panel. 8GBs of RAM and a 1TB HDD @ 5,400rpm and an Intel HD 520 IGP that will play WoW and LoL, maybe CS:GO on a good day.
I never thought I'd see MacBook Pro on the same list as an MSI PE60, let alone an XMG A-series...

The MSI and the XMG are of course gaming laptops and unless you plan on playing sophisticated AAA games, they are going to be overkill for a civil engineering student. The only relevant feature is that gaming rigs usually come with quad-core CPUs, but given your budget I'd say you can get a very capable quad-core workstation that could also serve as a medium-strength gaming machine in a pinch.

For example this 15.6" Eurocom Tornado F5W:
http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(2,403,0)ec (copy-paste the link to your browser)

This is a workstation and in its base €1,178 version you get a quad-core Xeon E3 1240 @ 3.5GHz and a 2GB Quadro M1000M GDDR5. Installed RAM is 16GBs @ 2,400Hz and the display is 2K IPS. Standard storage is a 1TB mechanical spinner (7,200rpm) but for an extra €68 you can swap that out for a 256GB Samsung SSD landing you at €1,246. But at 2.9 kg it is also quite heavy, and battery life is close to non-existent (2+ hours).

Eurocom makes a point of offering 'life-long' upgradability and you can customize most of their machines way beyond €3,000 as and when the need arises.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the Apple or the ASUS - they are both impressive laptops - but in my opinion, the MacBook is painfully overpriced and the ASUS is so obviously a stylish café cruiser.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Ingcam

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
Thank you for your answer , it's an interisting idea but i think 2,9 kg are so much , and 2h battery life are not enought . Can someone suggest me another laptop ? . Thank you

To be honest, I think the battery on the Tornado is meant as an emergency device in case of power outage. That said, the MSI PE60 offers 4+ hours of useful up-time and weighs 2.4 kg - not a whole lot of difference in real life. And most gaming laptops are only available with TN panels.

If battery life and weight are central to your decision, you're basically back to dual-core notebooks/ultrabooks, like this 14" Lenovo ThinkPad T460:
http://shop.lenovo.com/de/de/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/t460/#SYSTEM

The dual-core Skylake i5 will give you 14 hours of battery life, weight is down to 1.7 kg and it comes with a 2K IPS panel. 8GBs of RAM and a 1TB HDD @ 5,400rpm and an Intel HD 520 IGP that will play WoW and LoL, maybe CS:GO on a good day.

Solution

Ingcam

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
The msi pe60 panel is a TN panel ? What's the good price for this laptop ? I really like the thinkpads , but they are like a litle bit expensives for the specs . Thank you