Need help with finding correct fan replacement (MSI GE62 2QC Apache)

raedrob

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
Hey,
Over the last 6 months I've had some issues with the left fan of my laptop (MSI GE62 2QC Apache). Out of nowhere, during a gaming session, the left fan started to make a really horrible grinding noise, as if the fan blade was scraping against the casing. When this first happened I tried opening the laptop and used some compressed air to get rid of anything that might have caused this issue. I couldn't find anything obvious that caused the problem, and the problem persisted. The next day, however, everything was back to normal.

Now, yesterday the very same problem happened again. I have done some research, and to what I've been able to figure out, it seems like completely replacing the left fan is the way to go. I had never even opened a laptop before this problem, so I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to parts and replacing them. I did find a complete tutorial on how to disassemble the laptop, so that's not where the real problem lies. When looking for the correct type of fan I find ones for both GE60 and GE62, and I am wondering if there's any real difference between GE60 and GE62 fans. The shown images on ebay look, as far as I can tell, identical to the fans already in my laptop, but I don't know if there's any minor difference that would come into effect. The reason I'm even considering GE60 fans is that they're way less pricey, and I'm on a pretty tight budget.

Here's a link to the fan I've been considering on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CPU-Fan-For-MSI-GE60-MS-16GA-MS-16GC-CPU-VGA-Series-Laptop-Alternate-/262729574893?hash=item3d2be729ed:g:LMAAAOSwux5YUhNM

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated, as this is the only computer I have, and I rely on it in my every day life.

Thanks!

Solution
I don't have a definitive answer for you, but in my opinion, the differences between the GE62 and GE60 fans look fairly significant to me. At least from photos I've found of both.

Got a link to the exact disassembly video you're referring to?

EDIT: I looked at a couple disassembly videos for the GE62. There's no way the fan you're considering would work correctly, except *perhaps* with major modifications.

raedrob

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
Thanks for answering!
Now that you say it, it does make sense that it wouldn't work, especially considering there's such a price gap between the two fan models. After some further research it seems like I have to get the fan specific to either the CPU or the GPU, depending on which one is malfunctioning, as they're not interchangeable. Does this seem right?

As mentioned I have little to no knowledge about this stuff and I'm getting into it just now. It is the fan at the bottom of the picture in the link below that's acting up. I think this is the GPU fan, can anyone confirm or correct me about this? If it is indeed correct, I find it a little strange, as that's the first fan to start, even when MSI Dragon Gaming Center says the GPU is performing at 0 %. I would assume the CPU fan would kick in first, unless I've got this all wrong.

https://i.gyazo.com/250e9e7d8a6a0d8a3c8edc4ba48872b1.jpg

Thanks!

You're welcome.
Right. The CPU and GPU fans are not interchangeable. The fan at the bottom of the photo is the CPU fan, NOT the GPU fan. Also, because you have to remove the entire heat sink assembly to get to either fan to replace it, you really should remove the old thermal compound from the CPU and GPU and replace it with new stuff before reassembly. Either Arctic Silver 5 or IC Diamond would be good (there are other excellent choices as well).

Solution