Need help with old iBuyPower HL90

xreva

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hey guys, I have a 2010 HL90 I'm trying to get running again. I just installed Windows 7 64bit on a new SSD. Specs are as follows...

CPU: Intel Core i5 540m @ 2.53ghz

RAM: 4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 533MHz (7-7-7-20)

MOBO: Compal NBLB2 (CPU) -- never seen that (CPU) part before in Speccy

STORAGE: 111GB Kingston SSD

I'm running into drivers problems, specifically the GPU. Finding specs for this laptop online has proven difficult. One website I found claims it has a 9600m GT, so I downloaded GeForce Experience. It told me it "cannot be used without an Nvidia gpu" or something to that effect... in other words, this laptop doesn't have a 9600m?

I downloaded Speccy. Right now it lists the graphics as "16MB ATI Standard VGA Adapater (COMPAL Electronics)" in other words, it's using the onboard gpu. Device Manager similarly lists a generic VGA device under displays. I assume this is because I do not have the gpu drivers installed, and thus the computer is automatically using onboard graphics.

I still have the Mobo driver disc. Under VGA Driver, it says ATI... so I have a feeling this is an ATI gpu, not Nvidia. But when I try and install the driver, it says "This application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail." Of course, if I just knew the gpu model, I could install drivers myself and possibly bypass whatever error is occuring with the mobo disc here.

Is it possible my gpu chip just failed? How can I find out what gpu model I have?

Elemential

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015
Run dxdiag
Go to display
What's the name below device?

That's how you find out what GPU you have

Is the monitor connected to the GPU or motherboard?
Did you have a look inside the case? Is there a name or serial number on it?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4068/cyberpowerpcs-compal-nblb2-affordable-gaming
if that the unit or the mb it using download from intel intel chipset driver version 9.x not 10x for the newer mb and install the chipset drivers for the mb. then go to amd web page let the amd auto detect drivers see if it can read the right drivers for you. the other drivers may be intel standard vga drivers. try intel driver update program see if it sees the right drivers for you.

xreva

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

It says the same thing, "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter"

Chip Type: ATI ATOMBIOS

DAC Type: 8 bit

Approx. Total Memory: n/a

Current Display Mode: 1400 x 1050 (32 bit) (1hz)

Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor (it's the laptop display, no external monitor)

Under drivers it just says...

Main Driver: vga

Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Date: 7/1/2009 7:38:47 PM

DDI Version: unknown

Driver Model: unknown

All DirectX features are "Not Available."

Here's a picture of the chip: http://i.imgur.com/AfdAGwW.jpg <--- this is actually my wifi chip, not my gpu

xreva

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

That's the model, but that laptop has an i7 and I have an i5. Are you sure it would be the same?

xreva

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

It's an ATI 2700 mobility, right? What makes you think it's a dead gpu?

Could this actually be a wifi chip? I googled RT-2700E and that's what it looks like... but ATI *does* have 2700 mobility gpus... this is all so confusing

xreva

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

Thank you, that's what I thought. I'm downloading a driver through AMD Catalyst AutoDetect right now... if this doesn't work, I'm all out of ideas.

EDIT: AMD Catalyst worked! It was an AMD 5xxx series... 1gb, not bad for how old it is!