ok i have around 1100$ to buy a laptop for school
gona be useing it 4 days a week 8h a day
i dont really know much about laptops no idea what to pick

i like it to have good keybord easy to type on thats the number one thing

need advice plez thx
p.s sorry about the bad english :p

Solution

Hi there,

Since you are going to be using your laptop for school, I recommend getting one that will allow you to multi-task (plenty of RAM and a fast processor). Sufficient hard drive space is also important and make sure it is not too heavy to you can carry it back and forth to class! A good choice is the Dell Studio 15. It has a fast processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard drive space. Plus, it has a nice sized 15.6" screen but only weighs 5.5...

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

Since you are going to be using your laptop for school, I recommend getting one that will allow you to multi-task (plenty of RAM and a fast processor). Sufficient hard drive space is also important and make sure it is not too heavy to you can carry it back and forth to class! A good choice is the Dell Studio 15. It has a fast processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard drive space. Plus, it has a nice sized 15.6" screen but only weighs 5.5 lbs.

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Solution

c512345

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
1. What is your budget?
1100$ +-
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
hmm laptop not notebook
3. What screen resolution do you want?
dont really have a set size but biger is better most of the time:p
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
not really like i sayd this mostle for school
5. How much battery life do you need?
i can plug it in to power line in class but agin longer battery life the better :p
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
haveing the option to play games will be nice help pass time between class but not at the top of my list
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) programing c c# c+ ...
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
agin dont have set number but the more i can get the better :p
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links
nop
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
need it for 2years +
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
i think dvd rom is needed now days for just about any thing
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
dont have any :p

13. What country do you live in?
israel
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed
i think we cover most of it:p

mspisz

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
I would not recommend Dell or HP either... I had both and constantly there is something wrong... Dell keeps breaking ... HP got burned graphics.
I dont want you to think it happens with every laptop from those brands but I would recommend Toshiba and Vaio for their reliability.

First of all notebook=laptop :) I guess you meant netbook.
Anyway,Lenovo Y560 is a good choice
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146777

c512345

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
hmm Lenovo never seen that name befor
but i will google it and read reviews :p thx

if u have any other good options that u think will be good for me will be nice to have 2-3 to look at

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
You really need something with a long lasting battery. dual core processor, though you don't really need a ton of power unless you're doing 3d modelling or video editting or something like that in school. I'd recommend something like Acer's UL80vt, which has a claimed 11.5 hour battery, 14in screen, and a dual core ULV processor. and the optimus switchable graphics mean good HD video playback.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-UL80JT-A1-14-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B003UNMVRO/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1287330355&sr=1-3

core i3-330UM
4GB RAM

with the extra budget, you could throw in a 120GB SSD...

I would recommend against going to less than 13.3in laptop if you'll be typing on it all day. even 13.3's are a little cramped if you have broad shoulders.