need more hd for my HP Stream 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2018
I need to get more storage on my HP Stream 14 as Windows 10 is taking all the current storage and I am unable to even download the Windows 10 security updates. I get conflicting info on whether I can use an external hd for this or if I can upgrade the storage internally. Does anyone out there know for certain what will work in this situation???

Solution
An eMMC chip is used as data storage in your device, there is no upgrade possible except for external drives. Get a USB3 external drive for you data and keep only your software on the small HP!

zoltan.boese

Notable
Jan 30, 2018
An eMMC chip is used as data storage in your device, there is no upgrade possible except for external drives. Get a USB3 external drive for you data and keep only your software on the small HP!

Solution

zoltan.boese

Notable
Jan 30, 2018
You can change the folder for updates!
1: create a target directory

for example :

D:\other\desired\location

2:Ctrl+alt+delete>taskmanager>services>(right click on) wuauserv (then choose stop)

3:rename c:\windows\softwaredistribution

this folder to softwaredistribution.old

4:Run cmd as administrator and type this command then hit enter

mklink /j c:\windows\softwaredistribution d:\other\desired\location

("d:\other\desired\location" u can type another location that existed on your hard drive or you can create in step 1 )

5:type this command on Cmd and then hit enter

net start wuauserv

Or you can manually start service like step 2 !

6: if everything was ok

you can move softwaredistribution.old files in new directory in the new drive

Then it will work ;)

I have had customers' Streams in here and have fitted them out with a micro SdCard and done exactly what zoltan-boese advised above.

The BIOS doesn't recognise the Micro SdCard as a bootable device but on one system, I put a bootable ISO on to a card and sold the customer a USB SdCard carrier because they needed regulary to reinstall.

Feb 16, 2018

Ok, thank you!!!

Feb 16, 2018

I'm not very computer literate, could you please explain your 2nd paragraph in layman's terms?

BIOS is the Basic Input Output Settings is the set of software that tells the hardware what to do before Windows (the Operating System) takes over. My particular customer felt the need to reinstall once every three months. I didn't see the point but went along with him and made the SdCard able to carry a system and to fire up the computer - what we know as booting - so that he could do that.

Feb 16, 2018

Ahh ok. Well I won't need to reinstall, I hope!! I just need the extra storage for all the system security updates and a few programs I need for my schooling. As the laptop already has an SD slot, if I put a 64GB SD card in and leave it there, and do what the other person suggested, I should be okay for all future updates. Is that about right?

Feb 16, 2018

Ahh ok. Well I won't need to reinstall, I hope!! I just need the extra storage for all the system security updates and a few programs I need for my schooling. As the laptop already has an SD slot, if I put a 64GB SD card in and leave it there, and do what the other person suggested, I should be okay for all future updates. Is that about right?

zoltan.boese

Notable
Jan 30, 2018

OP does not want to boot from the SD card, s/he is only intended to move data and upgrade files there - as far as I understood.

Status
Not open for further replies.