Need new Headset. Corsair or Medusa or?

dlong

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hello, i would like to buy a new headset for gaming and possibly music, and i need suggestions. i have a budget of 100 dollars and would prefer a usb headset.

Ive been looking at the Corsair HS1 and the Medusa NX 5.1 USB gaming headsets and cant decide between the two. They both have good reviews and strong points. The major difference between the two, is that the corsair has virtual surround sound using Dolby Digital, and medusa has true surround sound. Im not sure which is better. both are reliable, and have great sound quality for pc gaming. Although i hear the corsair lacks in bass and is decent for music. Any suggestions or comments will be greatly apreciated.

also i am open to other options. Im behind on the headset market, as ive had my logitech clear chat for 3 years now and it needs to be replaced.

if any additional info is needed, let me know.

Thanks

-david

Solution
Actually the bass response on our speakers is excellent when you use an equalizer or sound preset with emphasis on bass. We just don't make them sound overly bass heavy in their stock configuration.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Actually the bass response on our speakers is excellent when you use an equalizer or sound preset with emphasis on bass. We just don't make them sound overly bass heavy in their stock configuration.

Solution

TopGun

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Over at head-fi.org a lot of people like the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and Audio Technica AD700 (these would probably get my vote for gaming based on all I've read) in the just over $100 range.

I just recently in the past couple weeks was in the market for a new headset for gaming and music, but did not want to spend $100 on a pair of headphones. I was recommended the JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone ($38.97 on Amazon). These are supposed to be by far the best value headphones in their price range. They completely cover my ears and are super comfortable (good for long gaming sessions) and sound great so far after 24 hours of burning them in. I haven't received the mic yet to comment on that.

All of these headphones will need a mic attached, but you get way more sound quality for the money compared to a similar priced headset. You can easily attach a cheap mic with zip ties and/or velcro. I went with a Labtec LVA7330 ClearVoice Head Microphone for about $20 planning to cut off the mic from the headrest and attaching it to my headphones. You can get Mini 3.5mm Flexible Microphone for PC/Laptop/Skype and Cables To Go 13787 3.5 mm Male/Female Stereo Audio Extension Cable (6 Feet, Black) for under $6 if you want something a little cheaper.

Just look under mic mods at head-fi.org if you decide to go this route to see how easy it is to add a mic to a quality pair of headphones using just zip ties and/or velcro.

I think I remember reading somewhere too that simulated surround is better than"real" surround.

As far as only from your offered choices...I've only read about the Medusa, but I didn't read anything terribad about them...so I guess those would be my pick if I haven't encouraged you to check out the other options.

Hope this helps.
-TG