Need software to create a image of hard disk which can be restored ..

ahmadka

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Hey all .. Well I recently got a new netbook and I'd like to get some software which can create an image of my entire system, from which I can restore my system to its current condition even if I formatted it .. Basically, I need to create a recovery disc, which my netbook did NOT come with ..

I remember using a very old version of Norton Ghost which used to run at Boot time and dumped an image of the entire hard disk, which could then be restored ..

I would also prefer a software which allows me to create a USB based backed, since netbooks don't have DVD drives ..

I don't mind getting a commercial software too (that is, I don't want to be limited to only free software) ..

Any suggestions would be really appreciated :)

ahmadka

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Does the Windows 7 make a complete system image (of all disks and partitions) ? So that I can *completely* recover my entire system from absolutely scratch .. ?

I looked at both Acronis and Macrium last night, and was unable to carry out this task with both of them .. I spent like 4 hours with Acronis, and GOD that software made me angry .. !! There's an option 'Make the media bootable' in Acronis, and no matter which USB drive I inserted, this option is always disabled .. !!

With Macrium, you are required to buy the software before you can make a Windows PE Bootable USB Drive .. And I don't want to buy the software before evaluating this feature first ...

Any more suggestions ?

rwpritchett

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Windows' system image creator lets you choose any of your hard drives or partitions to include in the image. It doesn't do incremental backups though, like some software. It just takes a snapshot of your computer (all drives you point it too) and makes an image that you can bring back in case of failure.