Solved! Need software update forRCA projector model #RPJ129

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2018
I recently bought an RCA (Curtis Int'l) projector, model #RPJ129. It's supposed to have kind of smart TV functionality, with an input for streaming apps like Netflix, etc. You do have to download the apps, but my problem is that I have nothing when selecting the streaming apps source option. Just a floating "no signal " graphic as if it were an hdmi input with nothing plugged into it. It worked the first night, with a menu, options for setting up wifi, etc. Now, nothing.
There is an option in the setup menu for software update, but it must be done with a USB drive, and I cannot find the software anywhere, and honestly Curtis international has been no help. It uses android 7.1, and I'd like to try an update, as it can't really make it work any less. Any info or ideas would really be appreciated.

Solution
A reset might help.
Their attitude towards the problem tells me that they have no facility to repair or reload the Android OS. I'm sure all they do is replace the entire projector since they don't want yours' back. You will be taking a chance without a firm offer to replace it under warranty.
Maybe using an external Android box makes more sense. That way you don't have to sideload apps as it seems their version requires.
Dec 2, 2018
Jsmithepa, thanks for the reply, but I don't think you completely understood the question, as I may not have communicated it thoroughly. The device had no problem connecting to the lan. The problem is that the operating system seems to be corrupted, almost like if someone were to accidentally wipe the C drive on their PC. How or why it happened, I do not know. It's a problem I haven't encountered with any other projector, smart TV, game system, or anything else I've owned. I have, though, like everyone else, installed and reinstalled windows and android OS on a number of different devices for a number of different reasons.
So problem #1 is actually is that I am having trouble finding the neccessary software for this model. Problem #2 is that Curtis International (whom RCA licensed their name to) has kept me tied up in an endless email string well beyond the window to return the item for exchange at the retailer. They've then informed me that I can remove the labels, destroy the unit, and send pictures of the destruction along with the labels, and they will move forward with the warranty process. No firm answer on if they will honor the warranty with replacement or not, just that they will move forward. Seeing as the basic functionality is still there (I can hook up my game system, cable box, etc.) I'm a little leery of destroying what's basically my living room TV with no idea of what's going to happen from there.

Dec 18, 2018
you need to reset it. it ivolves holding down 3 buttons on projector through a reboot process. i can't remember which three. i think it was [select] -the center button- and the [left arrow] and [power]
A CYCLE IS INITIATED

I would also try unplugging the AC power cord and holding in the power button as you insert the AC cord back in

A reset might help.
Their attitude towards the problem tells me that they have no facility to repair or reload the Android OS. I'm sure all they do is replace the entire projector since they don't want yours' back. You will be taking a chance without a firm offer to replace it under warranty.
Maybe using an external Android box makes more sense. That way you don't have to sideload apps as it seems their version requires.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.