Need Solution for Sound Bar/Blue Ray/Cable HDMI Hookup

mongodpm

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016
I have a Vizio HD TV that has only one HDMI port. Curently the cable goes directly to the HDMI. I want to get a sound bar and BluRay (with Wi fi ) both with HDMI. I can get a splitter which obviously allows me to switch between the Cable and BluRay but how can that work with the sound bar since we would want it on no matter whether we have the cable or BluRay I could use an optical connection but then I'd lose some of the BluRay definition (hard of hearing, need all the help I can get!). Any ideas would be appreciated. DPM

psoohoo

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
question: does the TV have an option for audio out (usually optical) which will pipe the audio from the TV to the Soundbar. If so you shpuld be able to use a (cheap or expensigve) HDMI switcher to change the input.

if not then will need a switch (like a HT receiver) capable of removing the audio from digital feed. Send the video/audio to tv via HDMI and take the audio only and send it to the soundbar/speaker system. Never researched soundbars on whether there are any that will act as a switch.

mongodpm

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

Hi and a good question. No, loudness isn't an issue but "definition" is especially with voices. I have BluRay in my living room (with HDMI) and it is very good. I have just heard that the Optical version is not as sharp. I hope that makes sense.

mongodpm

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

It does have an Optical Output which I could use but from what research I've done the BluRay won't sound as good as it would would HDMI. I'm not much of a techie so I'm not sure I understand your solution. If I have a swticher with multiple lines in (and then one to the TV) I can certainly switch between TV and BluRay. My pea brain doesn't see how the SoundBar would function since the switcher would force me to choose A (Cable), B(BluRay) or C(SoundBar). Does that make sense. I'll do a little more recearch on the Audio Only solution you proposed.
Also, I may have gave your solution a "thumbs down" but that wasn't my intention. I'm new to this forum and simply hit the wrong button. sorry about That.

mongodpm

Estimable
Jan 6, 2016

I think that makes sense (kind of like spending $'s on speakers vs. the Hi-Fi system back in the day). Regarding the switcher I would have to have one output to TV and 3 inputs (Cable, BluRay and Soundbar). My dilemma is whether the soundbar would even be identified unless I selected that option on the switcher; how do I then identify which source (Cable or BR) so that I see my content and hear it as well.