Need some assistance with a Modmic and AT M40x

Karma VII

Estimable
Apr 29, 2014
Good evening, I currently have some Audio Technica M40x's I got from the Prime sale on Amazon a few weeks ago. I've been wanting them to replace my Astro headset, only thing stopping me is choosing a microphone.

I've found this one on Amazon with good reviews but I cannot figure out where it plugs into on my headphones. http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Gaming-Headset-Headphone/dp/B00BJ17WKK/ref=sr_1_3?&ie=UTF8&qid=1438814918&sr=8-3&keywords=mod+mic

And then there is this one that people say work with my headphones, no problems. http://www.amazon.com/AntLion-Audio-ModMic-Attachable-Microphone/dp/B00T6XUL8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438814918&sr=8-1&keywords=mod+mic

Any recommendations? I'm an audio beginner.

Solution
the boompro is meant to be used with headphones which offer a 3.5mm trs connector for a removable cable. i think the new m40x has a 2.5mm connector so it wouldnt work right without an adapter which would be clunky and easy to break off. mostly it is meant for v-moda's headphone lineup but works with *some* (not most) other headphones with removeable cables.

the modmic works on any headphone since it has its own cable which runs to the pc. out of all the attachable mic options it is also going to be the clearest sounding outside of high end lavalier or clip on mics meant for professional recording use. in general the modmic is the go-to product for users wanting to convert headphones into a gaming headset.

if you wanted something...
the boompro is meant to be used with headphones which offer a 3.5mm trs connector for a removable cable. i think the new m40x has a 2.5mm connector so it wouldnt work right without an adapter which would be clunky and easy to break off. mostly it is meant for v-moda's headphone lineup but works with *some* (not most) other headphones with removeable cables.

the modmic works on any headphone since it has its own cable which runs to the pc. out of all the attachable mic options it is also going to be the clearest sounding outside of high end lavalier or clip on mics meant for professional recording use. in general the modmic is the go-to product for users wanting to convert headphones into a gaming headset.

if you wanted something cheaper than the modmic but not as good the moovmic is another similar option. cant say how it compares to the boompro though an say its not as good as the moovmic. as i said you could also go with a lavalier style mic with an adapter if you wanted as well (the zalman zm1 for $10 is junk, you get what you pay for)

i'll make a quick comment on this, but since you already bought the headphones there isnt much to say. the m40x does not have a very wide soundstage which means it is not a good headphone for gaming. i own the m50 which is the next step up and while audio quality is nice, everything will sound very close (which does not bother me as i normally use speakers for games). just thought i'd throw that out there.

Solution

Karma VII

Estimable
Apr 29, 2014

Thanks for all the help and tips! I love my Astro A50's and there is nothing wrong with them, but after testing out the Audio Technica's, I don't know why but they seem better to me. They sit on my head more comfortably and are all together more comfortable and light weight in my opinion. I don't mind wireless or wires either since I'm sitting next to my computer and Xbox anyways. I believe I will go with the Modmic I listed and you talked about. I'd rather spend the extra money and know I'm getting quality rather than take a chance.

I appreciate the help! Thanks so much!

generally any decent headphones will make gaming headsets sound like crap - even ones people rave about like the a50's. that seems to be the general opinion of most people who swap over to using headphones instead of headsets. once you swap, you dont want to go back.

Karma VII

Estimable
Apr 29, 2014

Exactly! Thank you so much for the help. Have a great day!