Need to buy a lightweight laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hi Guys,

I need to buy a new notebook for my dad. He would be using notebook for running charting applications, surfing, office and related tasks. Some of the charting programs do require decent processing power. Thats why I want a good processor as well.

Priority -

1. Lightweight (around 2 kg or lower)
2. Power (No C2D or lower, either i3 or i5)
3. Size 13" or 14" (will be attaching it to an external monitor)
4. Budget $1000 (approx) (little flex)

What should I do ? Though I would be running MS Windows but if I get a laptop without an OS, thats okay with me as I have a spare copy. Infact he doesnt care even if it does not have a dvd drive or so.

[I am getting a VIAO for $1150 (i3, 3GB, 5400 RPM Hdd). Was wondering hope on the speed front it is okay. i3, 3gb)

Will appreciate your inputs.

Thanks a lot,

Cheers,
Jack

Solution
Hello and welcome to the forums
That Vaio looks a good choice,Core i3 is a decent CPU for light tasks(should handle programming fine)

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Thanks for your help buddy.

As you said viao seems to be a good CPU for light tasks. Running charting applications and stuff should be okay right. I am just worried about that. We have our own program that works in .net 3.5. I hope the i3 wont make the lappy slow. I would be attaching an external monitor though.

what do you say ?

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hi,

I got a 20" monitor with a resolution of 1600x900 but the 13" laptop is unable to display in that resolution becoz its max resolution is lower than 20" monitor's resolution. Connected via VGA cable.

What should I do ? Please advice.

Thanks,
Jack

jackgreat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Problem solved.

I got the upper version of the laptop. That version has a dedicated GPU & is a i5 machine. In that when I tried to set the settings to output only it worked. The monitor I bought has DVI & VGA and not HDMI.

But the important thing is that it worked.

Phew, that was close. Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.