Need to figure this problem out. Heat issues

Jake Sandelin

Estimable
Dec 28, 2014
So I am currently having serious heat issues on my desktop. I haven't a clue as to why but my computer has turned off because of centigrade reaching up to 90. I'm considering updating my PC top get VR ready... but I am curious if my rig is even worth updating or just starting over. I really despise having heat issues. But, I don't really have the money to restart. Any good suggestions as to what is causing it or how to affordably fix it or what parts to trade out?

My motherboard is a Sabertooth 990Fx R2 Version Rev 1.xx
My CPU is a AMD FX(tm)-9370 Eight-Core Processor
(This has a Corsair water cooling system attached to it)
My GPU is a Sapphire TOXIC R9 270X 2G D5
(This has a fresh air intake under it)
My case is a thermaltake Chaser A31
(https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133212)

So, other than the obvious fact that I'll need to update my GPU for VR.. is my processor worth keeping? I am so tired of the stupid thing getting hot.

Solution
You have a good MB and CPU however an FX-9370 can get hot without the correct cooler.
FX-9*** CPUs that come with less than H110 are inadequate for any more than stock frequency and don't cope if ambient temps get to 30C or more. Check if your Thermaltake Chaser A31 can accommodate a larger AIO in the top or side.
I think your processor is worth keeping and the cost to change platform is much more than a cooler upgrade.

MeanMachine41

Estimable
May 8, 2014
You have a good MB and CPU however an FX-9370 can get hot without the correct cooler.
FX-9*** CPUs that come with less than H110 are inadequate for any more than stock frequency and don't cope if ambient temps get to 30C or more. Check if your Thermaltake Chaser A31 can accommodate a larger AIO in the top or side.
I think your processor is worth keeping and the cost to change platform is much more than a cooler upgrade.

Solution

Jake Sandelin

Estimable
Dec 28, 2014
How do I go about undervolting and underclocking? I have tried it in the AI suit. It never saves and I have managed to crash myself a few times. Do I do it in the Bios? And, if so what do I look for. I am really considering just trading this puppy in for an Intel chip and save myself the headache. Course with the amount I'll need to fork out for the new GPU I'tll give me some heart burn if I have to spend a lot on a new processor too.

MeanMachine41

Estimable
May 8, 2014

Don't use AI Suite or any other Windows software to do this. Make your adjustments in Bios only.
Dropping Core voltage and lowering frequency will lower temperatures however, this is not a good solution. It just means you have inadequate cooling or your TIM needs replacing.