Need to know if it will work on my laptop

Alejandro5466

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
I have a HP 15-ay041wm 15.6" Silver Fusion Laptop, Touch Screen, Windows 10, Intel Core i3-6100U Processor, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive
I'm wondering if I try to use a Evga 1060 6gb with a egpu will it work good?

Solution
I am getting an EXP GDC soon ($54 from a US seller), these are x1 bandwidth. Mini pci-e swap out the wireless card and use a USB wifi, or an expresscard setup still on x1 link. Even Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C will be around x4 max. Getting the dell da-2 220W ($11 ebay) power brick to avoid some of the ATX psu clutter you see on youtube. Was planning to hack a 203W xbox 360 psu until I found the dell.

I have a dell inspiron sandy bridge with 525m, wanting to see how much of an improvement a 750ti will make before trying anything larger. My laptop uses optimus, so even the egpu will display through the internal lcd. May need to modify the inf of the mobile driver to install the desktop GPU with optimus.

Between x1 link and optimus...

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
That depends on a lot of factors. External GPUs are in their infancy and are only tested on several system configurations so there could always be a potential conflict that costs you latency.

What external GPU housing are you planning on buying? What port does it connect to (I'd expect USB 3.0).

Alejandro5466

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
I plan to use no housing and connect the egpu using mpcie express by removing my wireless card

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
I am getting an EXP GDC soon ($54 from a US seller), these are x1 bandwidth. Mini pci-e swap out the wireless card and use a USB wifi, or an expresscard setup still on x1 link. Even Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C will be around x4 max. Getting the dell da-2 220W ($11 ebay) power brick to avoid some of the ATX psu clutter you see on youtube. Was planning to hack a 203W xbox 360 psu until I found the dell.

I have a dell inspiron sandy bridge with 525m, wanting to see how much of an improvement a 750ti will make before trying anything larger. My laptop uses optimus, so even the egpu will display through the internal lcd. May need to modify the inf of the mobile driver to install the desktop GPU with optimus.

Between x1 link and optimus frame buffer copy to internal display expect at least a 10% drop from normal desktop x16 use. Even so can breath some life into a laptop, use the laptop like normal portable then hook up the dock and gpu to game when home.

Some manufacturers use a white list for their expansion cards and anything not on the list will not work without modding the bios.

Solution

JeffDaemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
I see, seems no one in youtube is able to do that, although they are most likely not using a laptop that All ready had a nvidia chip inside. Still, you may want to bench both options, you could be squandering bandwidth sending it back over the pci bus.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I can't say this sounds like a good idea. OP, please continue to do research before spending any money. Do you have an old and less valuable graphics card sitting around? How are you planning on powering it?