Solved! Need to transfer hard drive files to external hard drive

Travel2207

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
I want to transfer files from the hard drive of my HP Pavilion laptop that won't turn on to an external hard drive until I'm ready to purchase a new laptop. Besides the obvious external drive, what else exactly will I need to complete this? Just an additional HDD adapter kit for the hard drive? Do I have to make sure they are both USB 2.0 or 3.0 etc? Thanks.

Solution
The best way is to get a USB enclosure. You could by an adapter, but it can get messy. An enclosure will allyou to just drop the HDD in and plug it up. If your laptop has USB 3.0, get that. With 2.0, you will be there all day.

Also, you can only transfer documents (i.e. Word files, music, images, pictures). You cannot transfer program folders. You can transfer installer files (i.e. googlechrome-setup.exe), but that's about it.

Herc08

Respectable
Aug 6, 2016
The best way is to get a USB enclosure. You could by an adapter, but it can get messy. An enclosure will allyou to just drop the HDD in and plug it up. If your laptop has USB 3.0, get that. With 2.0, you will be there all day.

Also, you can only transfer documents (i.e. Word files, music, images, pictures). You cannot transfer program folders. You can transfer installer files (i.e. googlechrome-setup.exe), but that's about it.

Solution

Travel2207

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017

So I definitely need to do it using a computer? I can't transfer directly from the hard drive to the external drive? As I mentioned, my laptop will not power on. sorry, just want to be sure I'm understanding.

Herc08

Respectable
Aug 6, 2016
Oh thought you had another computer. Yes, you will need to tell that hard drive to start the copy. You could get a drive duplicator, but that will cost more money.

I would just get the dock or enclosure and wait until you get the laptop. Then in Windows, just copy the files over.

Travel2207

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017