Net Campaign Helps RATM Become Xmas No.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"After a CLOSE race, Rage beat McElderry (and Simon's choice of song, Miley Cyrus' "The Climb") "

that is the saddest thing I have ever heard.
oh well, atleast they won...

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]As much as the idea seems a noble one, Rage against the machine was an awful replacement. It seems the entire reason this song was chosen is for the single line lyric at the end of the song. Boring. Glad RATM turned it into a good cause though.[/citation]

yeah... also cause it's awesome! it's not just one line anyway, its the whole song and Band for that matter.

I can't believe how terrible that Xfactor clip was, and it WAS an Xfactor clip! had the actual show in it! and clearly the song was chosen as a way to convey the "XFactor journey" had nothing to do with the """artist""" at all.

just... terrible...

ukgooey

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
^+1 They properly let the result drag on didn't they..... bit like the X-Factor does. It was amazing to hear the start of The Climb at number two :)

Anyway, I think the choice of tune was more about the rebellious nature of the protest rather than picking an alternative Xmas song. They tried and failed to find a band called Rage Against the X-Factor Machine.

ukcal

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Ukgooey, yeah you're telling me they let it drag on, but i agree, hearing The Climb at number two was great!
About time the UK number 1 wasn't an X-Factor song though and RATM was perhaps the most appropriate, considering the lyrics, band ethics and the nature of the entire protest.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]yeah... also cause it's awesome! it's not just one line anyway, its the whole song and Band for that matter.I can't believe how terrible that Xfactor clip was, and it WAS an Xfactor clip! had the actual show in it! and clearly the song was chosen as a way to convey the "XFactor journey" had nothing to do with the """artist""" at all.just... terrible...[/citation]

Yeah, he sang a great rendition of Dance With My Father by Luther Vandross for his audition. He also did an amazing job with Elton John's Sorry Seems To Be. The song choice for his first single was absolutely awful.

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
RATM was the perfect band to take over the top of the charts. They are all about rebellion so it was like a hand fitting the glove. About time someone did something about all of this pompous, sissy pop, and manufactured music from reigning supreme even if for just one week. The people said F*CK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME! Never underestimate the power of the people!

lowguppy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
The great part is that both are signed with Sony/epic, so what they really accomplished was paying the much larger Sony machine for a laugh at Simon Cowell's expense.

It was also at bookies' expense, one BBC article estimates that gambling industry lost upwards of a million Pounds, as odds on RATM winning started at 150:1, so at least some fans made money on the exchange.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Over 450,000 RATM fans joined the Facebook group

You had trouble finding the original group too Jane?

I couldn't find it anywhere until my brother sent me the link,

the original group had (or has) around 980,000.

I would have cried if a Miley Cyrus cover got to number one!

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I fuckin hate Miley Cyrus.
But i think the "Renegades of Funk" would have been a better song to put on (its also by RATM in case you didn't know)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS