Solved! Netbook Question (1080p and resolution)

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Hello again everyone,

to keep it short, i have decided on this netbook:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-1015PN-PU17-BK-10-1-Inch-Netbook-Black/dp/B0046A8WGO

Its mostly going to be used to take notes in class but i also wanted to be able to play my netflix. My question is, i read in a review that this lap to will play 1080P media. I was wondering though, because the max resolution is 1024x600 is it realy going to play a 1080p or is it just a gimmick? what is the relationship between resolution and "1080P" if there is one?

Solution
HP Pavilion dm1z 11.6" 1366x768 and HD 4225 graphics. $475 with AMD Neo dual core upgrade, 3GB RAM, 320GB HDD full Win7 Home Premium
http://www.Pavilion dm1zshopping.hp.com/webapp/series/category/notebooks/dm1z_series/3/computer_store
Review: http://www.studentbuyingguide.com/2010/10/hp-pavilion-dm1z-review/
Gives up some signficant battery life compared to Netbooks, but its a better all purpose laptop, not a limited netbook.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
interesting,

So i wont be able to watch anything in HD due to the screens resolution being the limitation.

Would spending the xtra money on this netbook be a waste then if i dont intend to ever plug it into my tv? or is it still worthwhile to have the xtra power for netflix in the available resolution?

And can we expect to see higher resolution netbooks anytime soon in the future? I know hp has one but its out side of my price range and it still isnt 1080P

There are already plenty of 1366x768 netbooks out there.
Standard HD resolution is 1280x720, Blu-Ray is 1920x1080.
Down-scaling is what happens when you play a HD source (HD movie) on a less than HD display (Netbook). It will actually look pretty good.

Are you locked into the 10" form factor or are you willing to look at the 11.6" 1366x768 Netbooks (and laptops)?

HP Pavilion dm1z 11.6" 1366x768 and HD 4225 graphics. $475 with AMD Neo dual core upgrade, 3GB RAM, 320GB HDD full Win7 Home Premium
http://www.Pavilion dm1zshopping.hp.com/webapp/series/category/notebooks/dm1z_series/3/computer_store
Review: http://www.studentbuyingguide.com/2010/10/hp-pavilion-dm1z-review/
Gives up some signficant battery life compared to Netbooks, but its a better all purpose laptop, not a limited netbook.

Solution

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
and even if there was 1080p for a netbook, then i wouldn't get it, because you'd have to hold a maginfying glass on the screen. that many pixels on such a small display is going to make everthing look very small... if you plan to watch 720p HD content on a netbook, then go with WR2 above post, but if you want 1080p, either get the closest laptop to a netbook that has 1080p, or just hook up a external monitor, besides... watching movies and videos on a netbook isn't going to be "cinematic" experience, so be wise.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Not better. Not as good as a native HD screen... but most people would say it's acceptable.
A lot of CD movies, NetFlix deliveries etc, are standard defination @ 480i

Remember, you're also giving up the ION2 graphics and dual core Atom CPU. And they have a lot to do with the smoothness of HD playback.
Likely a standard GMA 3150 single core Atom CPU will have some HD content here and there that won't play back smoothly.

Avro Arrow

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

This is a very good point although I discovered how to make a netbook with an Atom N450 run everything smoothly and perfectly. It's a little procedure called "Removing Windows 7 Starter and installing Windows XP Professional". I just bought a netbook myself but I bought the cheapest one I could find because I already have a 15.4" laptop and I just wanted a new toy. Windows 7 Starter was really pissing me off because with that OS, the netbook was unable to handle more than 3 files being downloaded at once. The whole thing would freeze up and it looked like it was going to crash. I decided I'd had enough of that and even though the most recent comparisons stated that W7 Starter and XP Home had similar performance, I knew that XP Home was crap compared to XP Pro. I already knew that XP Pro worked magic on my laptop so I went ahead and installed it. WOW, I wasn't prepared for the huge leap in performance. Now my netbook never slows down or freezes up no matter what I do. I'm sure it's because of the 1GB of RAM. W7 is awful with 1GB while XP Pro works perfectly. :sol:

This might not be an option for someone already at the top end of his budget.
And for about the same cost as buying a copy of WinXP Pro plus the $368 cost of the Asus Eee PC 1015PEM that puts you back in the price range of a HP Pavilion dm1z with it's higher resolution screen, dual core CPU, 3GB RAM, etc.

EdZorX

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

I am having the same issue with my netbook, it came preloaded with 7 starter and i can't watch ANYTHING even remotely HD like, even crappy youtube makes my comp heat up and stall while it attempts to play the video, its choppy, jaggedy, it sucks... How can I get a hold of windows XP Pro? Its not like i'm "upgrading" so this should be something easy and free :D

thank you