Netbook with gigabit ethernet

vedeyn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Hello everyone, I'm looking for a netbook with a higher end Intel atom processor with gigabit ethernet. I'm trying to find a very small server for file sharing on my home network. I've looked but I cant seem to find a netbook with gigabit ethernet. I either need it to have 2gb ram or I need to be able to upgrade to 2gb or more. I have a hard drive so that isn't very important. My goal is to keep the cost around $200. USB 3.0 would be a huge plus as well but not needed.

vedeyn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Why is that? I currently have a server with an i3 2120 in it but I need something smaller and the lower power draw would be nice. I really need something small and inexpensive. I imagine something like a dual core 4 thread atom can handle filesharing and Verizon VZaccess (for mobile broadband).

Hi :)

Servers generally are neither small nor inexpensive...

And your i3 is a Ferrari compared to the Atoms bicycle....

All the best Brett :)

vedeyn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011

even for just filesharing and mobile broadband? If i need my i3 for that then I'm not sure i want to live in this world anymore lol.

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
A server's CPU should suit what u need it for.

Atom's work fine for Fileservers and small load Mail servers, Especially when running linux and serving anywhere from 5 to 10 people max
Hell I ran a Linux based webserver for over 2 years running only a ATOM D525 it was fine for the light load serving it was doing

Pretty much all Embedded NAS devices run some form of ATOM cpu as well

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
This build should be better than a netbook for your usage, i'm sure you can get ahold of a spare monitor that can be used for setup.
For simple filesharing at home an atom is all you need.

I included an optional PCIe addin card for USB3.0 functionality, if you don't think it is entirely necessary, you can save $18 by leaving that out.
The USB3.0 card is probably useless when you can now use the internal hard drives with SATA, but it is still another option.

PCPartPicker part list

Motherboard: ASRock AD2700B-ITX Mini ITX Atom Atom D2700 Motherboard ($81.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1066 Memory ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Apex MJ-16 MicroATX Mini Tower Case w/250W Power Supply ($56.84 @ Newegg)
Other: ENCORE SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCIe Adapter ($17.99)
Total: $176.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

vedeyn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011

I did want a netbook but that is a decent looking setup. I already have the ram as well, leftover from a laptop upgrade so that would cut costs even more. hmmm

Occi

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

I beg to differ. I have used an Atom based netbook as a server and done advanced simulations using multiple Virtual Machines, acting as servers to one another. The Netbook did an amazing job!

In the end it constructed 100 virtual disks (under Linux) and served them out through a complex set of networked filesystem abstractions. The most amazing thing is that the whole thing ran at Gigabit speeds. The VM network was able to deliver plenty of performance - all within a single Netbook (Atom 270).

The Atom or even Intel may not be my preference, but mindlessly bashing is not cool...

Occi

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Too bad the original question was not answered.

> OP: 2BG or more

The Atom line has a hobbled I/O infrastructure (causing most of the performance issues).
The silicon does not support more than 2 GB (unless they changed that in later versions).

> I cant seem to find a netbook with gigabit ethernet.

A quick looks shows lots of Atom based netbooks and netops with Gigabit ports for modest money.

Acer Veriton PS.VBGPC.001 Nettop

Asus-EB1033-B0100-ASUS-EeeBox-Desktop

ZBOX-ID41-PLUS-U

All with Gigiabit Ethernet and delivered for under $300

Occi

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Hi Brett,

No, not at Intel... mostly not a fan.

I specialize in understanding what hardware actually does.

almost 2 decades ago I was asked about building a video server and for pocket money bested multi-million dollar arrays.

And there are dense compute servers based on Atom.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/16327/seamicros_512_way_intel_atom_supercomputer_small_cheap_green
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/20/sgi_molecule_concept/

If Intel wanted peruse an Atom based server initiative, I think that something interesting could be done.

> Its farcical..

The OP was asking about a home video server, with room for a little UI.
Run a Netbook/Nettop Atom as server test yourself.
I ran 20 VLC sessions on my laptop and the Atom/Netbook/video server was idling most of the time.
Please let me know if you make different findings.

G

From what I can make out from the OP's original post it's that he basically wants what amounts to a NAS, the ATOM he is suggesting is likely as, possibly more, capable than the CPU's you will find in most consumer NAS solutions.

I don't think he is suggesting that he wants to run a DC or an SQL database, so comparing it to what you would find in a rack makes little sense to me.

HP, Iomega, Netgear, Buffalo have models based around Atom CPU's, likely others too.

vedeyn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
From what I've been reading a nettop might be my best alternative rather than a netbook. I've seen very few netbooks with gigabit ethernet and an up to date cpu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856101131

The above nettop seems like it might be able to do what I need it to. Supports 4GB ram, a decent looking cpu, and low power draw. Only thing is that it doesnt seem to have drivers for a 64-bit OS. That isnt the end of the world though.

I know some of you think Id be better off with a NAS but I need to be able to run VZAccess Manager. I live in the boonies so I cant get decent internet aside from a Verizon 4g card (I live near a thruway so I get 4g). Im currently using my i3 server to share that internet connection from the usb card through my router so that anyone in the house can use the internet without needing the usb card itself.