netbook won't go pass loading OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Nothing. The OS install on that netbook is borked.
Reinstall with known clean install media and a valid license key. Which should happen with ANY used PC.

You're buying the hardware, not the OS.

PCIBUSDRIVER

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
Not so fast to kill his hope, try the F8 key option and attempt to load safe mode. If you get in, then try a system restore. If the OS is stuck on loading windows the previous owner may have "Borked" deleting his or her old files, including system files.

The F8 option includes powering off the system, turning it on, and tapping F8 until you see the menu choices. Your Valid License key is located on the bottom of the system.

popatim

Splendid

Lets see.
1: you bought used
2: you bought it from a thrift store where lots of people have played with it, mishandled it,...
3: you didnt test it before buying it - or you still bought it anyways knowing it didn't work right.

Is it even running windows ?

PCIBUSDRIVER

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
That doesn't answer his question. That only asks a ton of irrelevant ones.
I buy used, its cheaper. I build new for fun and family. I even get Decent laptops at online auctions and give them to the less fortunate.
I purchase at thrift stores - I have a love of computer history. Latest find? Packard Bell 486SX25
The PB now runs Windows 3.1, 95, 98, and even Apple OS 7 so its a hobby, does that mean if I ask a real question here, I don't get a correct answer at toms hardware? or do I deserve a shun for my ways? If you don't have anything to contribute of real value, don't.

USAFRet

Illustrious

And I really hope you wipe the drive and reinstall the OS on those used machines. To protect you and the new owner.

popatim

Splendid

Surely we must be interpreting his "What am I doing wrong?" question thru different filters. To me he asked what HE is doing wrong, not whats wrong with the netbook, and answered according to what I perceived as the issue. Perhaps I'm to technical and failed to read between the lines...

IMO buying used means you accept the risk of buying broken or not quite right stuff, I'm sure you agree, and that's why we get such good prices on stuff. I buy used too but typically I know what it needs up front or I know I can fix it.

Would I buy a used & non-working netbook from a thriftstore? not unless I needed the parts in it. Too many people have handled it and tossed it back on the shelf for starters. I guess I prefer my used equipment to be gently used.

If I want something that works, It will work when I buy it. LoL

USAFRet

Illustrious
To the OP's original question of "what am i doing wrong "

First answer: Buying a used PC and not immediately reinstalling an OS from a known good source.
Second answer: Expecting a thrift store PC to have a fully functional OS. Or indeed be functional at all.

Reinstall the OS, either from the recovery partition that may or may not exist, or from your own known good install media.

Status
Not open for further replies.